Monitor Headphones???

While mixing with headphones is a bonehead idea if you can use monitors, do it anyway if you have to! The key phrase "if you have to".

I would move out of that apartment before I'd mix with cans personally, but you do what you gotta do, and work with what you have!

For those who say "don't use them" and offer no more advice, well they ARE right, but until they mail you a check for that first month's rent in your new HOUSE, check out the cans mentioned and take your pick.

I've HAD to mix with phones before, and while it IS a big pain in the ass, you can learn to compensate (to a point) for the "lying" they will do. A/B your mixes on a bunch of systems obviously, and do the best you can. And be prepared do remix, remix, remix....

Do you have a stereo in your house? If so, how loud is too loud? Mixing at softer levels was good advice........

Uhhhhh....

"For those who say "don't use them" and offer no more advice, well they ARE right, but until they mail you a check for that first month's rent in your new HOUSE, check out the cans mentioned and take your pick. "

I believe we did! I will say this one more time. YOU DON'T HAVE TO MIX LOUD!! Speech volume is about 80dB and that's about where you mix at!

As far as a roommate who doesn't want to listen to the same song more than once...

...send him/her out for a pizza - or to a movie!

"Stay away from the CANS....he hates those CANS!!!"

(name the movie that line is in)

zip >>

I just bought a pair of the sony 7506's this morning... I think they sound pretty good, they are a lil bright, but I hear everything pretty clearly. I also listened to a pair of Senheisers at the store, they were a lil less bright... but they bled through.. so that kinda killed them for my purposes.. I don't really do my mixing with the cans.. but I do use them while tracking... and I'm happy so far , these sound far better than the Rolands and the Yamahas I had in the past... good luck.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I ended up ordering a pair of Behringer Truths. They were relatively inexpensive and the reviews have been mostly positive. Hopefully they work out for me.

Now yer talkin' !!

The Truths' are modeled very closely after the Mackie 824's.

You should have some good luck with them.

Listen to as much good reference material through them as possible to "calibrate" your ears to the flat response. Listen to how everything fits together and try to mimic the fit when you mix...

zip >>

Cool! Thanks Zip!

Okay, now what?

I listen to stuff through the monitors and see how things (similar to my music sound) and try and mimic that for the same responce for the same sound?

Yup...

Find a few good reference CD's that will be close to your music style OR that have the sound you are trying to achieve.

Steely Dan - Aja seems to be a big fav around here. Listen to music in the style you are trying to mimic...

The key is to listen to how things sit in a commercial CD on your monitors. I sometimes will listen to a CD through my monitors then pop it in my home stereo to see the difference in translation.

You DON'T want to mix through your monitors with the "home stereo" sound in mind. Things just sit differently in reference monitors. Try to notice level differences in bass drum, bass, vocals, cymbals especially. You'll notice some things will really jump out at you because of the flat frequency response.

Get used to how things are balanced and aim for that.

Just remember...trying to get "that sound" will be elusive! When big name bands record in a studio they often have the best mics, preamps,equipment available to them. I'm not even gunna start on the hundreds of dollars per hour they spend mastering. So if you are recording with a SM58 mic an Art mic preamp and a Soundblaster Live card you will not get that really warm sweet sound.

The key is to do the best you have with the equipment you have and make that sound translate as closely as possible in your monitors.

So - kick back - order a pizza and listen to what your "target" will be.

And most importantly.....Have FUN.

zip >>

sure headphones have limitations but they also have benefits. For example, with headphones you don't have to put up with room acoustics, making them more "accurate" in that respect.

I'd say it doesn't matter so much as what you mix on, as long as it's decent and most importantly your ears are used to how sound passes from them.

-Sal

Back