Mixing wiring help

Niamh.manners

Hello

If possible could someone please give me some advice?
I have a behringer xenyx 802 mixer, and a new JamMan Solo XT looper that i recently brought, I also have a RODE NT-1A mic.
I am trying to do all the wiring to set it up but im having a hard time. I brought 2 twin 1/4" leads, I plugged the L&R into the looper inputs and connected that to the L&R mixer outputs, Then i connected the L&R into the looper outputs, and connected to the mixer L&R stereo inputs, then i connected my guitar to the L 3/4 stereo channel.
This made a LOUD buzzing noise so i instantly disconnected and knew i had wired it wrong.
So i tried again, connecting my L looper input to the Left mixer output, and my R looper output to my R mixer input, my guitar in the L stereo input, This recorded fine, but when i played it back through my looper it was very queit and only played through one side.
I intend to record by micing my guitar, but im terrifyed of wiring it up wrong and damaging my expensive mic!
Please can somebody shed some light on this for me? thank you

You are connecting the main output back to the input (through the looper). That input is being sent to the output, which is being sent to the input, etc... you have made a feedback loop. You can't do that without making a huge squeeling noise.

What you need to do is connect the input of the looper to an aux output of the mixer. That way, you can control what goes to the looper, so that you don't send the output of the looper back to the input.

By the way, it much easier to follow if you describe your connections by signal flow. For example, you always plug an output into an input, not the other way around.

It's easier to follow a description when you do that. It's also easier for you to visualize the signal flow when you think about it in those terms.

How are you monitoring? Headphones plugged into the Xenyx?
Xenyx main outputs to the looper inputs is ok if you do the following:
Take the looper outputs and run them into the '2 track input' RCA inputs on the Xenyx, then press the '2 track to ctrl' button (not the '2 track to mix' button) You can then use headphones or the control room (monitor) outputs to an amp or powered speakers.

Back