mixing vocals with instrumentals?

livepast00

how do you get your vocals to sit into the instrumental mix?

how do i eq the instrumental to make room for my vocals to sit in?

i know my starting point would be to look somehere in the mid frequency, but i dont have fox ears like pros

It's going to vary from recording to recording - Even with the same vocalist. You really don't have any other choice than to develop those ears.

That all said - If you're talking about recording vocals over pre-recorded/mixed instrumentals (such as a typical karaoke recording), it can get much more complex -- Many of those recordings have excessive 2-buss compression. You'd more or less have to match that compression with some amount of accuracy (more developing of the ears) while working in the context of what's right for the vocal and what fits the mix - more or less simultaneously.

It rarely actually works well...

thank you for your responses, I'm messing around with the panning and it seems to help, should I put my instrumental tracks through a stereo or mono track?

thank you for your responses, I'm messing around with the panning and it seems to help, should I put my instrumental tracks through a stereo or mono track?

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if you are asking if you should put the instrumental on a stereo or mono track in your DAW, then you should put it on whatever it came as. This is most likely stereo.

Don't overlook using EQ to help create a nice 'space' for the vocal. If too much of the other program material is occupying the midrange frequencies, the vocal won't fit well. I have found that some careful midrange scooping can help.

Back