Thread: Mixing Vocals and Blending with beat

Jamz92 is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Question Mixing Vocals and Blending with beat

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey wats up everybody
    Im a newbie to mixin. I looked everywhere but i cant find what im looking for. I want to know how to mix vocals in a rap and r&b track. I use Pro Tools 8 and i wanna know what will make your vocals and song sound good like radio quality using the stock plugins. I also want to know how to make the vocals blend with the beat. I hope someone can help me

spence52490 is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    I kinda doubt that you looked everywhere and couldn't find any help because if that was the case you wouldn't even be coming here. There are loads of guides on this site and many others like youtube. Google is your friend.

TheChikenMaster is offline I'm Unbalanced
    Thanks
    I'm sure you listen to a lot a rap and r&b so you would know what a decent mix sounds like. All you need to do is understand your tools when and how to use them, oh and make sure your recording is good too otherwise it will be alot harder to mix the shizzle with the wizzle
    I like to Ride the Waves...

michaelSHK is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    There's no single answer to that. You should do research about frequency and dynamics processing, and experiment with that.

As for getting "radio quality", just cut off the extreme high and low ends, and compress the shit out of your mixes

matttheaxe is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Getting "that" sound is really an art. It's also a skill.
    You could have the best set of oil paints available and still not be able to paint a Mona Lisa. Schooling and training cannot help one without the knack for it.

Assuming you HAVE the knack, just not the experience, you must do a lot of work. Read a lot of threads, try a lot of plug ins, mix, remix,remix...wait 2 days...remix again. Getting a quality studio mic is a must.

Very few of us can get our DAW projects to sound like the pro's (me included) but you can have a lot of fun trying. If you simply must have a high end recording, you may just want to go to a pro studio.
    Last edited by matttheaxe; 01-26-2010 at 17:18. Reason: add info

RD423 is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matttheaxe View Post
    Getting "that" sound is really an art. It's also a skill.
    So True. But it does involve knowing how to properly use compression, eq, at times reverb, how to properly set volume levels and all of those other goodies.
    [URL=http://protoolsforum.com/]Pro Tools forum[/URL]

Zed10R is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamz92 View Post
    Hey wats up everybody
    Im a newbie to mixin. I looked everywhere but i cant find what im looking for. I want to know how to mix vocals in a rap and r&b track. I use Pro Tools 8 and i wanna know what will make your vocals and song sound good like radio quality using the stock plugins. I also want to know how to make the vocals blend with the beat. I hope someone can help me
    Sup Nubie.

First things first. You can't get a good recording out of a crappy mike or signal chain...or crappy rapper and *fix* it in the mix. Just won't happen.

#1 thing is, get the rapper to practice. You can't get the vocals to blend with the beat if they were not RECORDED in time with the beat. The rapper needs to get his phrasing, enunciation, sibilance, tone, and mic technique PERFECT before he/she even BEGINGS to record the vocal track.

#2 Get a good condenser and mic pre. You must have good tools in order to do good work...but superior tools will never fix inferior performances or material.

#3 as far as radio quality goes, that is 90% rapper performance, mic technique and recording room, and only about 10% plugins. The BEST plug ins done in THE BEST way are not obvious. You can hear them but they do not make nor break the vocal work. I gues that really depends on what you like. If you are Kanye West, you really NEED good plug ins.

Thread Information