Mixing vocals

Altaire

anybody here work with hip hop or rap vocals that know what theyre doing that could give me some pointers where to start? Im trying to mix on audition and its not working out too well, the compressor presets suck and I really have no point of reference to know what settings for the compressor will make it sound "normal" "good" "somewhat professional" lol

I would start by using a soft ratio of maybe 2:1 to 3:1....just really listen to make sure that the vocals dont start pumping....its really alot of just listening and hearing what the vocals need to help fit into the mix better

Most rappers aren't going to use much dynamics so a larger compressor ratio might actually help the vocals stay constant and hold their own in the mix, not to mention adding a little meat. Between some compression, some well placed EQ, and a touch of verb (depending if you want them to sound bigger or just a dry track) you should have all you need.

I haven't done much with Audition, but I imagine their built-in compressor isn't much good in the first place - better presets isn't going to help much in that case. I've had some good results with the Voxengo Voxformer plugin (which actually does have a few good presets), it might be worth looking at if you want a quick vocal fix.

Back