Mixing tracks w/ natural room reverb

mrclay

I'm trying to record a sort of minimal song w/ a dark production and I'm recording every instrument seperately in stereo w/ the mics in different places around an empty house w/ wood floors. Has anyone tried to mix a recording like this, where almost everything is pre-reverbed? I'm relying mostly on a PZM and an SM94 condenser mic recording digitally and I wanna try to avoid using any digital reverb. Any advice while I'm still in the recording phase?

I don't have much in the way of advice, but I have experience doing some recording like you mention. I have recorded acoustic guitars, miked guitar amps, and vocals in a similar setting. A couple of large, almost empty rooms with very high ceilings and wood floors. I spent an entire day to find the right locations and mic positions to get the sound I wanted, and ended up adding almost no reverb to the final recordings.

If the rooms sound good, then you should be able to spend time working the mics and get a nice sound without having to add any reverb. I only had one mic running at a time, so you should be even better off, since you plan to use two mics in stereo.

Back