Mixing techniques (get weight and timbre in your overal mix)

Dennis Hermans

Hello,

I'm very curious about this one.
I'm making beats but I want to improve.
I'm capable of making bass patterns, layer, compress, eq, add chorus, delay, ....

But how do they make this kind of sounds! It's driving me nuts :RTFM:

To give a good example:

Here is a mix that I would be able to get close to:

https://soundcloud.com/loulourecord...ate-23-july?in=pimpogama/sets/released-tracks

Here is a mix that I won't be able to get close to :P:

https://soundcloud.com/mishqamusic/sets/mishqa-tasty-cookies-dance-flow-ep-delicious-recordings

You can hear a lot of difference in width of the different mixes.
Tried a lot of things like waves' doubler to gain width, r-bass to gain weight,...

Thank you in advance!

Dennis

Hmm sounds good to me i'd say playing around with saturation might just be what gives a "timbre" that you could be looking for. Your track sounds good thought it might just be the way Mish's track is made, the choice of instruments and all that make it sound with that "weight"

It's possible that at the beginning of that Dance Flow EP, there was a tape-influenced recording/mix. Just thought I should mention.

To me, "weight" is an accumulation of energy in the low mid frequencies, say 150Hz-400Hz. Too much and it turns to "muddy". You'll also have a heftier overall sound if the actual arrangement of different harmonies is distributed across the frequency spectrum in a balanced manner.

im in 2 minds whether your the same guy as in all the tracks you linked !

only real difference between what you posted and linkies imo is your bass aint doubled,the "question" part between your bass and other bass "answer"(00:50 ish) collide making it a lil muddy ... cos the "answer" bass has a slow attack imo you need to grab all the notes and shift it left a few milliseconds cos the impact it has when it reaches peak is giving you quantize problems ... id also use a similar panning effect to the one you use on that FX (comes in at 00:15) on it so it kinda swoops in from the sides to the middle,will help clean your mix up a bit and give some movement cos you got a lot happening in the middle and only the vocals occasionally using 10 to and 10 past (on a clock face) ...

btw the saturation/psycoaccoustic positioning plug you use on the drums (bx_saturator?) got on my tits after a bit ...

id have to download em then compare if you really want em pulling apart,but none of em groove ...

Thank you for the quick help :-)

I'm changing my baseline pattern in new tracks and will also try other synths.
I used just standard ping pong delay for the panning effect on a laser in the beginning of the track.
Will be using my saturation a little bit more conscious now.
Used the camel crusher mostly on drums and sausage fattener on bass.

Will try the panning on baseline in future to see what effect it gives me :-)

Back