Mixing Stoner Doom

gwr310188

Good Evening Guys
My band recorded some tracks last week in the studio, i've now come to mix them and there not dirty or muddy enough, yes i did say muddy enough lol.

They sound to clean, not enough dirt and grit

I would like it to sound like bands Weedeater, Elephant Tree, Down that sort of vibe

This is the track I've mixed what can i do to change it??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47i5382soqou247/Destruction In Vain.m4a?dl=0

PS, it was a live studio recording over 8 channels if this matters

Many Thanks
George

Layers. Play the same part again, and stack it up. That's where you get mud. Make sure frequencies are building up in unpleasant places! :D

The drums are too far in the background and the kick is all click. Add a bunch of 50hz to the kick, some 200hz to the snare and back off the overheads. Run the drums into a compressor with fast attack and release to keep them up front and pumping along with the song.

Typically, you would be going for a more nasal sounding guitar sound. More of the 1-3k. The bass should be getting all the 200-400hz muddiness. It sounds like your bass is really fuzzed out, that could be part of the problem because the pedal that you are using might be taking away the stuff you need for the sound you want. Distorted bass is correct for the genre, but if it's distorted to the point where there is all those high harmonics, it won't have any impact and will sit in the mix differently.

Back