Mixing in reaper?

Nosprocharger

I've been trying to figure out how (if possible) to mix and master in reaper. I'm really new to this and would like to finish up a few songs me and a friend recorded. I am just using the free version, that may have something to do with it. Please help!!!

Nevermind I'm retarded. i guess im getting mastering and mixing all mixed up. I told you you i was new. Well how do you master in it/add effects etc.

Ok, at this point and time in the process put mastering COMPLETELY out of your mind. That is the last and final step in the process and is usually done by someone who specializes in that area....what you need to concentrate on right now is mixing. Mixing involves setting the level of all the tracks so they compliment each other. During this phase you can also add compression, eq, and other effects to create the overall desired result.

You obviouslly have a computer....google a few mixing tutorials specifically for Reaper. There are Youtube videos and a wealth of knowledge if you just look.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

I use reaper and so do a bunch of others, and i see no reason why you couldn't do tracking, mixing, and mastering all in reaper.

Best advice I (and everyone else here) ever got is PRACTICE. Your 2nd mix will be infinitely better than your 1st and so on. My advice (and this is to myself too) is 1) focus on tracking, mic placement and getting the best and clearest sound possible, 2) learn about EQing and Compression (google how to use a compressor and go from there) and keep your mixes simple until you have a good handle on those two things, and 3) only use a few plugins and get to know them (ReaEQ and ReaComp are great and super great for learning). Don't even worry about mastering yet. When you get a good mix save up a few bucks and have a pro do it. I've heard some pretty well mastered albums that were done for $200, well worth it! Oh and experiment with some Reverb and Delay and see what they do to individual tracks and the mix overall.

Keep it simple and fun and let your skills develop, just like your musical skills had to.

There are quite a few Reaper tutorials on youtube. Might I recommend Mix Engineers Handbook by Bobby Owsinksi, Mordern Recording Techniques, Reaper Power by G. Francis (probably very advanced for you at this stage but mandatory for Reaper users with exp. under belt). Reaper operates very similarly to most Daws with a few twists. I love it. I even paid for the thing LOL. BTW, I HIGHLY suggest that you download the (huge) pdf manual from the Cockos site. It is very intimidating b/c of its size but it is packed with examples of every (almost) feature in Reaper. PM me if you have specific? or visit the Reaper section here or Cockos forum. PS Keep it simple, and grow your skill set. bump!! I think another thing that throws people who are coming from other daws or are new to audio recording is the extreme routing possibilites such as "channel routing within "Tracks" confused me at first. Worry about that stuff later. If you are familiar with an "old analog style desk" the "send and return " architecture " is very standard. You see this (to my knowlege) in most if not all DAW programs, Reaper just addds so many other options with accurate but lenghty descriptions. Enough babble. No I do not represent the designers of Reaper, I just like using it. Sonar and Protools sit idle. Apology for wandering OT. Back on topic: Yes, the program is capable of Mixing and Mastering. The rest is up to YOU. Be Well All. WS

Learn how to do use "automation" on your track faders in Reaper.

The Reaper tutorial book has info on how to do this.

As far as mastering, you don't want to worry about that until you have an album finished.

Racherik

Back