Mixing with pink noise?

Nah. These guys are cool. They were too young to bring me beer (part of my standard contract), but they brought me a Hot Ham and Cheese. :)

Is depends of genre but i use noise almost everytime when i want to add hi fre to my sounds or special effects. Pink is nice fo effect. I like noises form massive

Is depends of genre but i use noise almost everytime when i want to add hi fre to my sounds or special effects. Pink is nice fo effect. I like noises form massive
I think you misunderstood what he is doing with the pink noise. He doesn't leave it in the mix, it's not an effect.

gated pink noise on a snare is a wise idea, or backing up vocals with low level white noise to make some kind of rising, sure if you're doing rock the later probly wont help but making a snare brighter with pink noise always is a possibility.

gated pink noise on a snare is a wise idea, or backing up vocals with low level white noise to make some kind of rising, sure if you're doing rock the later probly wont help but making a snare brighter with pink noise always is a possibility.

I think you misunderstood what he is doing with the pink noise. He doesn't leave it in the mix, it's not an effect.

Sure, but we already covered that part. ;)

I have the idea that a little bit of noise might actual be important to make non-linear processes sound and feel just a little more "natural", and that might be an important part of the difference that some people hear between analog and digital. Consider just a hard clipper. Everything above the threshold gets clipped to the threshold. Adding noise has an effect very similar to changing that threshold by some random amount at any given instant. Course it also has the effect of adding noise... :)

I like to add a little bit of noise - less than tape but more than dither - to my full album masters to fill in the gaps between songs. When we used to listen to cassettes or vinyl, you knew the album was still going by that little bit of hiss, and while I'm not sure anybody ever notices, I like to include that subtle little cue that there's something still happening.

^^+ 1
To my ears there is a certain "fuzziness" that analog sounds have from the inherent sound of room, circuitry, environment , etc. that make a sound more natural. I was interested in the Korg Legacy synth collection so I checked out the comparison vids and immediately noticed the lack of any noise in the VI's made them sound glaringly "digital". Which to my mind isn't necessarily bad but it seems to make it harder to blend program material seamlessly when they have that sort of pristine sound. It just ends up sticking out unless it gets some noise/harmonics slapped on.

Oh yeah! Noise is very important to the sound of a lot of modulation effects, too. Like a phase shifter or a flanger even at pretty extreme settings will be pretty boring on most pure clean sources. The more complex the input, the more frequencies it has to mess with, and the more interesting the output. Most instruments aren't actually all that complex - mostly just the fundamental and a harmonic or two for the sustain portion. In order to get that really dramatic sweeping sound, you really have to either distort the hell out of it or add noise.

Back