mixing multiple songs

lascalaboy

I'm planning to record a few of my songs, just wondering, once the trakcing is done, is it best to mix a track at a time, or do the drums on each track and then the bass etc... I imagine the guitars wouldn't need to sound the sound on each track, but for unity is it the best idea?

sorry for all of my dumb questions...

There's no rules.... do whatever suits your style best.

Typically in a large-scale project I'll have the band do all the tracking for all songs first, then overdubs, edits and finally mixing.

Mind you, each step is related, so you need to be thinking about how the tracks will mix even while you're tracking.....

Last edited:
I was going to ask a similar question so I'll just hijack your thread, eh?

I'm going to be recording an album for a local band (10-12 songs) starting tomorrow. Yehaww! Anyway, for consistancy I intend on tracking all the drums first. That way, as long as no one starts moving mics around, I shouldn't have much difference from song to song.

Mixing is where I was looking for comments. What I think I will try is mix the first song and get it pretty much nailed down, especially the drums and bass. From there is should be just a matter of adjusting for the different guitar patches and probably messin with the vocals depending on the type of song. Shouldn't have to really screw around with the drums and bass.

Of course I could be completely wrong but I guess I will find out when the time comes.

Expect to spend time mixing. In my opinion there are 2 kinds of mixes: perfect and half-assed. If it ain't perfect, then by definition....

yeah, I too was planning on recording the drum tracks for each song then the bass etc.. over a period of a couple of weekends. That way all the drums sound the same.. and then I thought it would be smart to mix the drums on each song, then the bass, etc, the same way..?

Back