Mixing Mp3s? & The Basics of Mixing Ur Music

Antwine

[SIZE=7]Hey Everyone, My names Antwine and I'm fairly new to this Home Recording scene as well. In my home studio I am using merely the basics just to get myself going since I dont plan on recording any other instruments except for my Vocals. I am using a Sony Vaio that is more than up to speed, M-Audios Firewire Solo Audio Interface soundcard 24bit/96khz, some M-Audio Monitoring Speakers, and a MXL 990 condenser mic for my vocals, and last a Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer. NOW.....When I record my music I like to mess around with tracks in MP3 format and then record my vocals over them, Now I know that it might be alot better if when I get a beat for some one that I get it in a format where I can possibly mix it but is there anyway to Mix an MP3 with just some vocals?!? Another Problem that I have is that I dont know the first thing about mixing so I just need an idea of what are a couple of the most important things that I need to do to make it sound decent or does anyone know of a book or website that gives people a really really good idea of how to do it all? Please Reply! Email: AntwineCalder@tmail.com, AIM Name: AntwineCalder[/SIZE]

First off -- MP3 is a lo-res audio delivery format, it's not a recording/production audio format in any way, shape, or form. You want to be recording to a LOSSLESS format such WAV or AIFF.... MP3s are a LOSSY audio format which literally throws away a significant portion of the audio data (and thus, a significant portion of aoudn quality along with it.) You stay in the LOSSLESS format throughout production until the end when you can encode a final mix from WAV to MP3.

As to the second part of your question - here's an article on the basics of mixing --> Mixing 101

Back