Mixing in mono - single speaker or mono summed to left and right?

bigblip

Hi,

I understand the sense of checking your mix in mono, but I am curious to know whether there is any discernible difference or any advantage/disadvantage to either summing the mix to mono (in my case using the mono button on my Mackie Big Knob) and listening to it on my regular left and right nearfields, or whether I should be sending it to a single speaker for best results (I have an old M-Audio SP5B lying around).

In time I'd like to add a pair of (or a single) Avantone MixCubes. Same question applies in that situation - one in the middle, or one either side?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

It doesn't matter.

I have my stereo out also sent to another bus where I sum (with a utility plugin) to mono, and then route that to a separate out on the interface, which is plugged into a single Behringer kind of Auratone clone. (older model). Mostly it doesn't matter where you put it, especially with something like that, since you should probably be looking at it when listening, but of course the room acoustics should be taken into account. I mean, don't sit it on the floor in a corner, you know.

Do both. Summing to mono and listening on two speakers can increase the perceived bass due to imperfect acoustic summing above 300Hz. But there may be times when the mix is heard in that configuration so it's worthwhile to check it that way.

Thanks Keith. Just so I'm clear, are you saying 'it doesn't matter' whether I am monitoring the mono signal on a single monitor or on a left and right pair? Cheers.

Thanks bouldersoundguy. Makes sense. I'm now thinking of using the M-Audio as the singleton for monitoring phase issues etc in mono and getting a pair of MixCubes so I can hear how the mix will sound on a limited frequency playback system. I guess I can then mix and match and get the best of several worlds! I'm really trying to raise my mix game and this, coupled with more scientifically treating my space (i.e. goodbye bookshelves, hello acoustic treatment) will hopefully help. Cheers.

Thanks Keith. Just so I'm clear, are you saying 'it doesn't matter' whether I am monitoring the mono signal on a single monitor or on a left and right pair? Cheers.
Kind of echoing [MENTION=103008]bouldersoundguy[/MENTION], checking mono is different from listening on a "horror-tone" or equivalent. I check mono on my regular speakers too, but as I was cheaping out on the mixcube-ish thing and just bought one, I also route mono to that.

In a good room with a matched pair of speakers, I'd hope that the "stereo" image of a mono feed wouldn't be a lot different from having a single speaker right in front of you.

Lately, I try to spend more time listening to a mix on my phone or computer speakers, because I suspect that's a better check for "bad speaker" listening these days. (Do they even play music in elevators anymore?)

In a good room with a matched pair of speakers, I'd hope that the "stereo" image of a mono feed wouldn't be a lot different from having a single speaker right in front of you.

The application of pan law is a recognition that acoustic summing is never perfect in practice, and an indication of the degree of imperfection.

If you consider that you are simply "checking" the mix in mono...I don't think there is a need to do it on a single speaker....especially considering that most listeners when they listen to a mono mix, it's usually on more than one speaker.
Now...if this was the '50s/'60s...then you should use one speaker. ;)

I thought an important aspect is to check for things like phase issues - in other words to improve your stereo mix by listening to it in mono - regardless of what the end consumer listens with? Hence my suggestion that I do that 'scientific' check on a single speaker, while doing the 'real world quality' check on a mono signal sent to two speakers. Two different checks, in other words.

Back