Mixing and Mastering for a vinyl release

GamezBond

Ok guys, I have learned most of what I need to know.For release on CD(this is a Dance/Techno CD), I send all the session files to a professional mixing engineer, he mixes them, then send me back a two track(stereo mix), then I send the all the stereo mixes to a mastering engineer, he masters the project, and I get the master get sent to a pressing facility.Is this correct?

Ok now I want to release a few songs from the CD on vinyl for my friend who's a DJ at a club to spin.I've heard every frequencie under 500 hz needs to be in mono(centered), is this true?I have some bassy 808 toms in the songs and I have them panned like regular toms (, I have the first tom panned left , second panned 50% left, 3rd center, 4th center, 5th panned 50% right, 6th panned hard left.I also have a synth , where it starts in the octave of C8 then slides all the way down to C3.Around C5 it starts getting bassy.I have this synth "chorused" (1 copy panned left, 1 panned right, left pitched up 10 cents, shiffted back a few miliseconds, right pitched down 10 cents shifted up a few miliseconds).

Is it true I need to have the bass Centered?Should I just bring the stereo mix into ProTools, and turn down every frequency on the mix except for 500 hz and under, make a copy of it, invert it and paste it onto the normal mix (which will cause a phase cancellation, causing all 500 hz and under frequencies to be gone), then go back to the 500 hz and under copy, and convert it to mono, then paste back onto the phase cancellationed copy?

Also, would there be any additional things I need to do for a vinyl mix?I'm trying to save money, because the mix costed 1000 bucks, and the mastering did, and both the mixing engineer and mastering engineer told me that I would have to pay again.So I guess I want you guys to tell me what I need to do for this mix for vinyl, I already have a mix thats ready for CD, after I get done what I need to, I guess I'll send it to the mastering engineer, since I can't do that myself.

The (vinyl) M.E. should take care of it. He'll no doubt have an elliptical filter, which sums the lows at his whim, on the way to the cutting lathe.

One thing you *might* want to do is either send him the unmastered tracks, or at least tell the (digital) M.E. that you're putting some songs on vinyl, and to leave you an "EQ'd ONLY" version. Let the vinyl guy apply the compression - Once the digital guy compresses the existing lows, the vinyl guy is going to have a cow.

Although, I'm sure the vinyl guy is used to this anyway...

Back