Mixing on headphones

Ex3vious

I have a great pair of studio monitor headphones, I usually mix using them but the problem is when I finish mixing and export the song to listen to it on my computers speakers the tone changes. In my headphones the sound is bright and vibrant, on the speakers its duller. I don't know exactly how to describe it, its not as bright though. Any tips?

that,s one of the reason why mixing on headphones is dangerous, you gotta be very careful otherwise its easy to end up with something you were'nt aiming for...

I've done full mixes on headphones and it always ended up far from what i had in mind, speakers even at low volume gives me much better results.

Back to your question thought, i'd say reference much more when you use only headphones and reference with your monitors as much as you can even if its just a quick check.

Edit : oh, just found this thought it was interesting... well entertaining at least.

With headphones, everything is guesswork. That's why people don't mix with headphones.

I won't even get into mastering with headphones...

I'll make the popcorn! It's at least a week since we've had a "mixing on headphones" debate.

Seriously, there are physiological reasons why, even with the best headphones, your mixes sound different when played on speakers...or even other systems. Human ears have a very different frequency response to sound sources clamped right onto them than they do for more distant sounds. Headphones try to compensate for this but it can only ever be a guess since the exact fit is different on everyone.

Add into this the fact that usually headphones are more worried about sounding "good" rather than "accurate". The same applies to lots of speakers too, but the purpose of proper monitors is to show your music warts and all, not make it sound artificially good.

Having said all that, you CAN teach yourself to mix on headphones. You do a mix that sounds good on your cans, then critically listen on a mix of other systems and decide what you need to change. You've already taken the first step by deciding the headphone mix is less vibrant on speakers. Next time, mix it even brighter and try again. You'll eventually learn what things need to sound like on headphones to also be acceptable elsewhere.

A second caveat though...you mention computer speakers. Try to listen on a bunch of other systems before you make any decisions based on what might be a pretty poor set of speakers...

Thanks for the replies. My speakers are pretty good though so that's not the issue. I may buy some studio monitors. For now I've been setting levels and some eq with headphones then I'll listen to the track on speakers and adjust.

if you must mix on headphones, just A/B a "lot", no reason why you can't mix professional sounding tracks, it's the long and hard way around it though, I do understand that headphones is necessary in some peoples circumstances though. And I am sure there are a lot of people out there that mix on headphones to great standards.

Would I mix on headphones? Fuck no.

I have a great pair of studio monitor headphones, I usually mix using them but the problem is when I finish mixing and export the song to listen to it on my computers speakers the tone changes. In my headphones the sound is bright and vibrant, on the speakers its duller. I don't know exactly how to describe it, its not as bright though. Any tips?

I mix with headphones, too. Don't mix for too long. 20 minutes, then take a break. And keep the volume down.

Most headphones roll off at 100hz and 5k or so, so that 5k cut could be the problem. I think they do this b/c the can is so close to the ear it could become piercing otherwise. Try to find a graph for your headphones and see their pattern.

Maybe A/B or even mix on the PC speakers briefly before exporting so you can tweak right there.

Last edited:
I have never liked mixing on headphones, I sometimes check a mix on phones just to make sure that there is nothing in the mix that I have not heard on the monitors, but usually phones just don't cut it with me. I also hated when there was no choice than to track a live gig with phones, there was always fixing up to do to a recording that sounded fine in the phones.

Alan.

I have never liked mixing on headphones, I sometimes check a mix on phones just to make sure that there is nothing in the mix that I have not heard on the monitors, but usually phones just don't cut it with me. I also hated when there was no choice than to track a live gig with phones, there was always fixing up to do to a recording that sounded fine in the phones.

Alan.

It is possible to setup monitors in an apartment with neighbors on each wall? I just assumed it isn't. I'd prefer monitors for sure.

It is possible to setup monitors in an apartment with neighbors on each wall? I just assumed it isn't. I'd prefer monitors for sure.

If you can watch tv in the apt, you can monitor.

Trust me, I like to crank up music.....a lot.

But for mixing, lower levels work better.
if one can get it sounding good at quieter levels, it will sound great cranked

don't mix in headphones.

you'll never get your mix right,
and it wont translate.

use headphones to 'check' mixes, and use more than just one pair.

use them to do fine tuning....
do them to do fine editing.

use them for tracking.

Yup.

It's easier to get a good mix on good monitors (and takes a lot of learning to work out what things need to sound like on cans to be good elsewhere) but to say it's impossible is pushing it a bit.

For that matter, even with the best monitor speakers in the world, you still have to train your ears...

My neighbors start thumping the wall when I mix and I finally went and knocked on the door to confront them because it wasn't really loud. They actually had the nerve to complain that I "Keep listening to the same song over and over and over," and then turned to his wife and said "Who does that!?"

I almost went for his throat, the prick.

Sorry to hear that, but thats kind of funny. It"s funny that he objected not to the volume, but the repitition.
Thank god you weren't mixing hip hop beats.
:-)

ROLL OFF,
Well, you'll need to clarify how fast a roll really.
The headphones I use for listening to the internet etc have a
Frequency response of 14Hz - 26000 Hz
There's plenty of crisp clear and unhyped high end.
They aren't great but they, and many, many others, tend to emphasize between 100Hz & 5Khz rather than roll of before & after.
I used headphones to mix until I could hook up a decent stereo with decent speakers, (speakers & stereo that I 'knew" in the audio rather than biblical sense). I used a stereo until I could afford "monitors". At NO time did I, do I, use computer speakers. My mixing improved with each step forward in monitoring. Now if I treated my room properly I'm sure I'd make another leap. Each according to his/her means really.

Having done a lot of recent mixing on headphones out of necessity - I'll echo the above remarks. Avoid if possible.

My biggest realization between mixing on headphones compared to my monitors (which I have minimal access to) - is the fatigue factor and mobility.

I couldn't escape the headphones - with monitors, I could sit in the triangle, as well as get up, move around, go outside, go down the hall, and still listen, getting a different perspective each time.

Daryl

I mix on Sens headphones although I have to bounce the track out several times with minor adjustments made every time. I would get monitors if I didn't live with people who complain about noise ;) The headphones are a desperation measure - not an informed choice. I have to overcompensate for low end issues since the phones roll off somewhere around 80hz or so. High end as well. If you can, get decent monitors. avoid the hassle.

Back