Mixing Headphone question?

GuesSs

I recently purchased a pair of AKG K240's I was wondering if it's necessary to get a audio interface/amp for them or will it not make much of a difference

The good 240 are 600-Ohm and you will need a amp. The cheap 240 should be OK with a standard interface, but a good amp helps any fones.

"What's the best amp for $100-150"?

Well, it is the resistance of the headphones that allows a good amp to present it with detail. It is not easy to keep track of all the 240 sold, so which 240 and what is the impedance ?

Well, it is the resistance of the headphones that allows a good amp to present it with detail. It is not easy to keep track of all the 240 sold, so which 240 and what is the impedance ?[/QUOTE]

The impedence is 55ohm

It looks like the current 240 Studio and the 240 MKII, both, are rated at 55-Ohm. They both have the same "loudness" specs. This good levels for portable music devices.

I would only consider a amp/interface if you somehow feel you are getting cheated with the laptop output.

I think I have 32, 80, and 120-ohm (AT, Tascam, Yamaha) at the moment and get good levels with my old laptop

Just my laptop that's all I have at the moment

---------- Update ----------

What's the best amp for $100-150?

How are you recording? An audio interface acts as your soundcard (A-D conversion for recording, and D-A conversion for monitoring).

I recently purchased a pair of AKG K240's I was wondering if it's necessary to get a audio interface/amp for them or will it not make much of a difference

How about yo outline what your intended use of the headphone is to be. If we knew that, we could give more useful help.

The AKG K240's are a little hard to drive but not a problem by any means. And........they're a fairly well balanced headphone as well. They're sort of clinical in their sound and lack a bit of bass.......but they'll certainly do to get you on your way. I have a pair of the 55 ohms. We won't go over the use of headphones for mixing and mastering here. There's probably 1000 posts on that subject here. As others have said.....we need more info. If you want to mix and master you'll probably be looking to get an audio interface and software for your laptop. Most AI's will have no trouble with your K240's.............so don't go out and buy a headphone map right now.

Well, my old laptop has a thumbwheel for volume and when the fones are screaming it is nice to be able to gram that volume knob on the amp. That can fall into the ; " I gotta do something about that" category - other than yank the cord

Well, my old laptop has a thumbwheel for volume and when the fones are screaming it is nice to be able to gram that volume knob on the amp. That can fall into the ; " I gotta do something about that" category - other than yank the cord

Man.......I wish I had some idea of what you're saying here. I've read your post a few times and am lost. Probably me.

Man.......I wish I had some idea of what you're saying here. I've read your post a few times and am lost. Probably me.

One day, grasshopper, you will learn to understand the mysterious ways of garww. It takes years of dedicated service and study to master that art.

Back