mixing a gospel quartet

guitarguy03

Hey guys, I recently tracked a gospel quartet, and the tracks sound great. I put them in 4 separate rooms in the studio and used akd 414's on them. They're singing to pre-recorded music tracks and are doing a couple acapella. I have never recorded this type of group before, any mixing tips as far as panning, verb, and just for an overall nice, full sound? I have a good ear and have been doing some experimenting, but I was just going to see if anyone had experience with these types of groups. I'm also working with a ProTools HD system with many plug-ins. thanks in advance!

Recording a Gospel Group-An tips

I am recording a Gospel Group and any ips will be well appreciated. As in the earlier post they are singing to prerecorded music and some acapella.

IMO... just throw up the best mic ya got ... and put them around it... they'll mix themselves... part of the majic of a good quartet is the natural interplay....

I had done a similar recording recently, seperating everyone into rooms and such.

I got a great sound from each individual, but it still was tough to mix. We decided to retrack them all in the same room. Positioned them so that they could see each other, hear each other and be able to play off of each other in the songs. It sounded so much better, even with the bleedover.

Their blending and such is greatly effected by eye contact as well as 'hearing' one another.

As far as reverbs and plugs, mostly, I will group the vox and run a send out to SIR. That is by far my favorite verb in the whole wide world. And running the signals out through the send along with the direct output will usually help me achieve a far more blended and natural sound.

that's my 3 cents...

Back