Mixing Desk

Erik713

Ok, so I'm starting to feel a bit limited in the amount of work I can do on my computer-based recording system. Right now, I think this is mostly due to the lack of mixer sitting in front of me. So far, I've mixed everything on the computer, and it just doesn't cut it anymore.

I'd like to find a quality mixer with these features -

24 channels with dedicated eq, mute, pan, level
8 busses
at least 4 aux sends/returns
Parametric or sweepable EQ
Direct outs (optional, preferable)
Flying faders or "scene recall"
Meter bridge

Now, it can be analog or digital (would prefer analog), and I'd like to see if I can find something for $1500 or less. I've seen a few digital boards with effects and other stuff. I'd deal without effects in a second if there was a comparable desk without them for less.

Is this possible or am I going on a pointless search? Anyone have anything to look out for or recommend??

Thank you in advance!

-Erik

In the used market, you can get a LOT of console for your money. I just picked up a Tascam M-3500 for about $1200. 24 channels, 8 busses, 6 aux's, direct outputs on every channel, etc.

Yeah, the 5000 is more up scale. The pre's are OK but I won't be using them for tracking. I use outboard pres for that. The pre's in a Ghost are more than likely better. Not sure about the Mackies yet.

I bought a Soundtracs Midi 32 off Ebay. It's slightly more than you budget +500 but I'm really diggin it. It haven't mixed with it yet but I am using the pre's in it going direct out into Delta 1010. You should be able to find something, just keep watching.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I found a little info on the M-3500. The Ghost series are a little out of my budget right now, but they look great. Taking a look at the Soundtracs. I've never heard of them.

Also found the Tascam DM-24. What do you all think of it?

Check out the Yamaha O1X ( I think this is the model number but either way it is their control surface that is fairly new) which is a 28 channel mixer and a control surface rolled into one for about $1,500.00 (maybe a bit more). This looks to be a great solution for someone like you. It has the same pre-amps as the O2R96 only not as many, I believe some built in DSPs and, well, just check it out. It might be what you are looking for.

Back