Mixing channels - Ideas

In that MP3 you DO have stereo! One guitar L, one guitar R = Stereo Guitars.
Two seperate sound sources in the L and R speakers is a stereo mix.

Are there presets in your mixer software that simulates (fakes) stereo that ends up sounding bad?

My recording is stereo? People here said that stereo exists if the same sound source exists "altered"(equalized, reverbed) in the opposite channel.

If I try to mix what you hear (so that the separate sound sources will exist in both channels) it will not sound very good. Neither bad but nor clean as before.

What Farview suggests sounds ok but the solos as centered dont sound as clean as before (only in the right channel).

I noticed that a satanic group with a female singer from '69, Coven have used in their Witchcraft destroys minds and reaps souls lp the same recording and mixing style as me. Guitar and solos only to the right. They just have an atmosphere, maybe reverb, that I dont have.

If it's ok, then I can keep it as it is, just adding effects and atmosphere in the dry sound.

As for the image from Cool Edit 2.1, its indeed a window where you can do mix.
This window appears in the Amplify menu, choosing Channel Mixer.

For people to understand what this is

The first part of the window is how much percentage of the left and right recorded sources, will exist in the LEFT CHANNEL.

The second part of the window is how much percentage of the left and right recorded sources, will exist in the RIGHT CHANNEL

If values are 0, this is a centered result.

Check this great song. Even though Im not a fan of satanism, their songs are very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGs_tIRINU

As you see, its like what I have done. Solo guitar to the right. I think I have noticed the same thing to early Deep Purple and Beatles.

I want to ask something here.

I notice that their sound is not what I would call reverbed, its dry yet I feel an atmosphere that my recording doesnt have. I feel the space of the room inside where they play.

Can I do a trick to use a background low sound of air, so that my recordings will become atmospheric without using reverb that will destroy the sound?

Thanks.

Check this great song. Even though Im not a fan of satanism, their songs are very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGs_tIRINU

As you see, its like what I have done. Solo guitar to the right. I think I have noticed the same thing to early Deep Purple and Beatles.

I want to ask something here.

I notice that their sound is not what I would call reverbed, its dry yet I feel an atmosphere that my recording doesnt have. I feel the space of the room inside where they play.

Can I do a trick to use a background low sound of air, so that my recordings will become atmospheric without using reverb that will destroy the sound?

Thanks.

It wasnt' until the late 60s that panning became easier with consoles, before that it was LCR - left, right, center.

The song you link has reverb on the vocal, but the instruments rely on the room sound - you are right it is very dry for the most part.

In order to accomplish what I suggest, you need to be recording on MONO tracks.

When I say the solo needs to be in the center, I don't mean centering the pan control on a stereo track that only has sound on one side. I mean putting the solo in the center of the image. If you record it to a mono track, the pan control will move it from side tof side.

Chris, I think you need to do some research on the definition of stereo and production techniques. There has to be a lot of youtube videos in your own language that can explain the basics. Once you understand the basics, you can come back and ask for clarification. Right now, you need more instruction than anyone wants to type out, and some of it gets lost in translation.

To answer you specific question about the ambience on the Coven album: that album, and a lot of others at that time, we're recorded live in the same room. The atmosphere you hear is the bleed of the instruments coming into the other instruments microphones. There is no good way of simulation that.

To answer you specific question about the ambience on the Coven album: that album, and a lot of others at that time, we're recorded live in the same room. The atmosphere you hear is the bleed of the instruments coming into the other instruments microphones. There is no good way of simulation that.

If that's true, its amazing.

It is true. Microphone bleed can be awesome, if it is managed properly. It can be a nightmare if the room is too small or the instrument volume is unbalanced in the room.

Lol! I managed to emulate some of the 60's "bleeding" atmosphere!

I used the best free reverb. Its called FreeverbTooDx.dll , its a directX plugin.

Here's the result! It gives me the feeling of space without ruining the guitar sound. It sucks a little bit on some drum parts but I can just use it on the guitars if I want.

Attachments

• Ghost Rider canyon.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 4
Holy crap man!!!! That was off the charts as far as output level.

You really should spend some time learning what it takes to record and mix your songs.

Farview post #45 basically sums it up. Do yourself a favor, grab a fine bottle of wine, and spend 3 days researching/watching/taking notes of videos of whatever you can find about home recording. Focus on recording fundamentals, record levels, recording environment, and holy shit hell-output levels. lol

You have been afraid of reverb because you seem stuck in 'preset mode' of thinking. Reverb is best when not audible. But it is typically the one thing that actually glues a mix together. Especially in your case. Then there is compression....

You just need to start by understanding what it is you are trying to accomplish. Then what it takes to get it the way you expect it. Then fine tuning to get it the way you want it. It does not happen with a mouse click on less than desirable software.

***there is NEVER EVER a preset for that man. Did I say never?

Best to you and your project! :)

Oh, and don't add the reverb to the master out. Just to each guitar track. A little bit til you hear it, then back off a bit. No need to wash the whole mix dood.

I/nor anyone can give any opinion with the output level peaking of the track you posted. It is totally destroyed in output level digital distortion.

Google that also. :)

Oh, and don't add the reverb to the master out. Just to each guitar track. A little bit til you hear it, then back off a bit. No need to wash the whole mix dood.

I/nor anyone can give any opinion with the output level peaking of the track you posted. It is totally destroyed in output level digital distortion.

Google that also. :)

I think this is the best result I can afford.

Neither chaotic nor completely dry. No reverb to the bass. Medium reverb to guitars and drums.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 04 - Ghost Rider (instrumental) atmospheric.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 3
Back