Mixing channels - Ideas

Van Halen's first album

Guitar and bass are panned wide and the guitar's reverb fills up the empty side.

What do you do for creating guitar's reverb ONLY to the opposite channel/side, without making <<wet>> (and generally affecting) the original channel?

When I choose a reverb preset, I notice that guitar's reverb is created to the opposite channel, but the guitar in the original channel also gets the effect.

Should I copy and save the guitar's reverb to a new track and then press "undo" to the original guitar track so that the original channel wont be reverberated?

Normally you take a send from the guitar channel> send that to a reverb> bring that reverb back on another channel. Pan L and R. the original guitar will have NO reverb, with the panning the combination of guitar and verb fills up the space.

You can use an auxiliary track with a reverb on it and a send from the guitar track.
With the reverb 100% wet you can pan guitar and reverb, separately, wherever you want.

Edit: Beaten to it. ^^

Yup Steen, I did beat ya. fair and square. Fast fingers Bob they call me. :D

However, we don't know if with his recording software you can do that. One is a gaming/youtube /cd recording software and the other.....I have no idea what that does.

Maybe the Greek dude should tell us EXACTLY what his workflow and track layout is like. Possibly with the software he has its not capable of doing the recording techniques we are talking about.

With ANY multitrack analog setup it can be done. And with any proper DAW it can be done.

Last edited:
Stop with the copy paste! It is the long hard way to do it, and the result suck and gives you no control.

Learn how to use the mixer in cool edit. Read the manual and it will tell you how to do.all this stuff.

The programs I use do the job perfectly.

The problem is that I have used two guitars (instead of one) + bass. The result is good if I use only one guitar + bass, cause when you try to pass the guitar on the opposite channel theres already another guitar there that will cover.

So I prefer to keep my 60's recording and mixing style. Solo guitar only to the right, rythm guitar only to the left. I like my sound (even if someone would call it too raw and anti-modern) and I think my production is cleaner than the modern stereo productions.

By the way, when you say stereo with the meaning of difference between channels/speakers, youre talking about ANY difference? For example is the difference of volume a stereo result?

For example is the difference of volume a stereo result?
No, that would just cause it to be panned to one side. When you pan a mono track, that is exactly what you are doing, lowering the volume on one side. In fact, there are parameters to control exactly how that is done called laws of panning. You choose different slopes for the volume drop.... Linear, 3db, exponential, etc. Well, maybe that was not an option in CoolEdit 10 years ago, but any decent contemporary DAW program will have it.

The problem is that I have used two guitars (instead of one) + bass. The result is good if I use only one guitar + bass, cause when you try to pass the guitar on the opposite channel theres already another guitar there that will cover. ..

Trying to sort out exactally what you're saying the problem is. As in when 'two guitars' is the same part double tracked, one for each side? (as opposed to 'solo on one side 'rhythm on the other?

Trying to sort out exactally what you're saying the problem is. As in when 'two guitars' is the same part double tracked, one for each side? (as opposed to 'solo on one side 'rhythm on the other?

Hello. I send an mp3 for you to see.

Forget bass and drums (they're stereo and sound ok as stereo). Focus on the guitars.
As you can see, main guitar is on the left and the solo guitar is on the right. Trying to make stereo with the two guitars will not result in good sound.

If you want, I can send an mp3 with the guitars only.

Attachments

• 04 - Ghost Rider (instrumental).mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 7
In that MP3 you DO have stereo! One guitar L, one guitar R = Stereo Guitars.
Two seperate sound sources in the L and R speakers is a stereo mix.

Are there presets in your mixer software that simulates (fakes) stereo that ends up sounding bad?

Last edited:
Play the rhythm part twice. Once on the left and once on the right.

Play the solo part and pan it to the center.

That is the way it is done, that's the way it has been done for decades.

^^^^ THIS^^^^^
I think we are still dealing with a confusion as to what stereo is.

From the screenshot of the software he's using, it seems that there isn't the ability to pan things. I just saw "presets"

So the question to Chris is this; and please answer.

Can you PAN in your mixer software??? As in move a sound from left to right??

From the screenshot of the software he's using, it seems that there isn't the ability to pan things. I just saw "presets"...

...Can you PAN in your mixer software???

Yeah, looking at that screenshot, it's no wonder he's confused about stereo and panning. I don't blame him at all for lack of understanding, that software is a mess.

Chris, do yourself a favor and don't use CoolEditPro. Find a more contemporary means of mixing. Reaper has a very generous demo policy. Try that. I think I remember reading you have a Win98 computer. You gotta get yourself into the 21st century, somehow.

Play the rhythm part twice. Once on the left and once on the right.

Play the solo part and pan it to the center.

That is the way it is done, that's the way it has been done for decades.

Hmm... something for me to consider. I have been placing my "lead guitar player" panned, in creating the feel of a band with 2 guitarists. I am pretty sure I have heard bands with 2 prolific guitarists do something like this, certainly when they are playing double leads (or leads with interchanging parts). I guess big influence for me on that is Stryper.

Hmm... something for me to consider. I have been placing my "lead guitar player" panned, in creating the feel of a band with 2 guitarists. I am pretty sure I have heard bands with 2 prolific guitarists do something like this, certainly when they are playing double leads (or leads with interchanging parts). I guess big influence for me on that is Stryper.
Listen to To Hell With The Devil. There are two rhythms hard panned behind the harmony leads, which are slightly panned away from center. However, the actual solos are all panned center, even though they are trading leads at that point. Same thing on the In God We Trust album.
Soldiers Under Command did the panned solo thing, but there were still two rhythms panned wide underneath them.

Listen to To Hell With The Devil. There are two rhythms hard panned behind the harmony leads, which are slightly panned away from center. However, the actual solos are all panned center, even though they are trading leads at that point. Same thing on the In God We Trust album.
Soldiers Under Command did the panned solo thing, but there were still two rhythms panned wide underneath them.

^^^Absolutely.

Back