Mixing approach

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
Do you do exactly the same when you mix for a demo or a complete CD??. Time wise, reference CD´s used, etc.

This could be a stupid question but I need to ask

Thanks
TS

In theory there's no difference, but in reality it really depends on the client's budget, time frame and the nature of the project.

Thanks Bruce. The band I´m working with always remarked me: "this is our DEMO", in the end they were surprised with the results and sound quality, you´ve got to see my place and you wont give it a dime. I exceed his expectations. That´s why I don´t know how to approach the mixing stage of this DEMO.

Thanks for your response
TS

IMHO the difference between a demo and a proper recording is the amount of time spent on the project. A decent band can pound out 3-4 songs in a weekend, mix them in 4-5 hours and that's a demo. To do the same amount of songs "all the way" I'd say spend more like 50-75 hours.

And yet, not everyone requires this. It really depends how well prepared everyone is going into the project.

For example, my band (before I was a member) recorded our first CD in two 8-9 hour sessions. There are only 8 tracks and the album turned out to be 26 minutes long, but it was a remarkable job given the amount of recording time taken. One of my favorite songs from the album was the one and only take.

(Random aside, I'm wondering what members of the board would say about the job the engineer/mixer/ME did on the album, but I don't know the best way to post it without 'giving' it away. Any ideas? I'll be engineering our next album, but I want to know if we should take it to him or go somewhere else.)

Back