Mixing Acoustic guitars

ex351d

I am going to record an artist and I am not sure how to go about his recording. I am going to have a drums panned left and right with snare and bass centered. The bass guitar also centered. A stereo recording of an acoustic guitar panned left and right and centred vocals with panned effects at lower volumes. Now I would like to add some subtle lead stuff such as arpeggios in the chorus with another acoustic guitar. Where would you typically place it? And, should I go for mono or stereo?

As a second guitar, or even an only instrument like that but not when you need a big wide or prominent one, usually mono is fine- even preferred as it's easier to place them in the mix.

Record with 2 mics to get the best guitar tone - unless you get the exact tone you want wiht one, there are no rules - but you may want to pan both mics in the same spot in your final mix (adjusting volumes for blend as needed, of course).

A stereo recording of an acoustic guitar panned left and right

Do you mean a single performance captured with stereo mics, or a double-tracked pair of performances (i.e., overdubbed) captured in mono and hard panned opposite one another?

In either case I would probably track the lead guitar arrpeggios/ear candy in mono, but depending on which you meant re: the rhythm guitars would determine where I'd then place that lead guitar track.

2 mics on one guitar is a very usual acoustic guitar miking method. For example, one 6"-12" out from the 12th fret, pointing slightly towards the soundhole, and one equidistant from the guitar near the lower bout, or pointing towards the bridge.

If the rhythm guitar is panned left and right, I would put the lead in the middle. Since only the vocal would be competing, and the playing will probably be between vocal spots, then the lead can go uo the middle withe little competition. I would even single mic the lead (between hole and 12), but two can give a better shot at getting the right flavor, but I would only use one of the tracks.

I was going to record the rhythm in stereo similar to what mjbphotos described. I was going to do this in order to spread it, thus, it does not compete with the vocals. I am not sure if I would be playing the lead stuff counter to the vocals, I may play 8th notes with a pattern that follows the chord progression or something similar. I am unconvinced as; if I record the lead stereo it would compete with the rhythm and if I go mono I would be competing with the vocals.

Stop thinking 'mono' and 'stereo' when recording guitar - that's just the track(s) you're recording to - and think '1 mic' or '2 mic'. You can pan them any way you want. In Reaper you don't even have to pan a 'stereo' recorded track (separate left and right) apart - just set the 'width' to 0 and pan where you want it in the mix. When I record a guitar with 2 mics, I throw them on separate 'mono' tracks, it's just easier for me that way. I can solo each one to hear it by itself, EQ each separately (seldom do), etc.

I was going to record the rhythm in stereo similar to what mjbphotos described. I was going to do this in order to spread it, thus, it does not compete with the vocals. I am not sure if I would be playing the lead stuff counter to the vocals, I may play 8th notes with a pattern that follows the chord progression or something similar. I am unconvinced as; if I record the lead stereo it would compete with the rhythm and if I go mono I would be competing with the vocals.

Things overlap and coexist just fine in many ways. 'Competing implies covering in unwanted ways. But that can be what is played over what, their tones, their arranment (how' when and what) as well as level and panning.
Consider this for example; A singer acoustic guitar player recorded with either a single or stereo pair in front.
Either way they both sit right in the center- not competing' nor 'covering each other up.

Stop thinking 'mono' and 'stereo' when recording guitar - that's just the track(s) you're recording to - and think '1 mic' or '2 mic'. You can pan them any way you want. In Reaper you don't even have to pan a 'stereo' recorded track (separate left and right) apart - just set the 'width' to 0 and pan where you want it in the mix. When I record a guitar with 2 mics, I throw them on separate 'mono' tracks, it's just easier for me that way. I can solo each one to hear it by itself, EQ each separately (seldom do), etc.

Separate mono tracks, yes. Just track it, throw the faders up, and start panning till you like the way it sounds. It's good to have some pre-production ideas, but you won't know till you do it.

Maybe track it with a stereo pair (xy, or one mic on the neck, one on the lower bout, or whatever) then if you can make that work in your mix, good job. If not, you asked about double tracking the guitar and that's a great idea. Track the guitar part a second time, then select the two or three mic positions (tacks) that sound the best and mix and pan to taste. It's all about what sounds good to you!

I'm just getting started but have found I get the best results when I just jump in and do it.

Back