Mixing Acoustic Guitar and Vocals.

Chuku

Hey everyone,

I am recording a song basically just have acoustic guitar( finger pluck double track) and vocals only. But i have no idea what further should i do for editing and mixing.. I am new to the music production and i have no idea what and how should i go further.. I tried to use few Scarlett Plugins (Compressor/ EQ/ Reverb etc.) but i don't think its helping me because i have no idea what i am doing..

Little frustrated here.. Can anyone help me on this??

Thanks.

Chuku

You could try posting your mix in the MP3 Clinic section of this forum. Hard to give advice when you can't hear it! There are no set rules. You use EQ when you need to, compression when you need to ...

I second mjbphotos - you should really post the track in MP3 Mixing clinic. But just to give you some ideas to start off and without hearing it I would say try panning the doubled acoustic guitar tracks. Pan one about 50% left and one about 50% right. Then make sure you set the volume for all the tracks to your liking. After that I'd say use an EQ like a high pass filter or parametric EQ and slope off all the frequencies below 80 to 150Hz (whatever sounds best). Then follow that with a light compressor on each track (start with presets and mess with the settings to hear how they affect the sound). I'd probably match the compressor settings on both acoustic tracks. Lastly I might add just a little reverb - again try presets and mess with it. Try pulling down the reverb until you can just barely hear it.

This could all sound like rubbish so use and trust your ears. Find a reference song you want the guitar or vocal to sound like and try to match that. Read up on different effects and what they do. Good luck!

Hey thanks.. I would definitely try what grn is saying.. and also would post a Raw mix in the MP3 Clinic.. Thanks ya all.. Cheers

Back