Mixerman raising funds for his new book. I gladly contributed. Anyone else?

jkuehlin

Just thought I’d mention this to you guys incase anyone would be interested and didn’t see the email because you’re not on his mailing list. For those of you who don’t know, this guy has made substantial contributions to online communities of recording engineers often at no expense. Many of you may have read his work in the past, and the incredible knowledge and experience he has willingly shared in the past has been of tremendous benefit to many of us.

If you are interested, here is the link to his fundraising campaign below V V V

Musician's Survival Guide to a Killer Record | Indiegogo

Seems you're his prolific publicity agent, JK. Thgis is a cut and paste post. (which is fine if your creativity is limited).
My simple question is why a man who has mixed and engineered the stars - "even Foreigner" - needs cash help to publish his book.

Technically it is more of a pre-sale. If he can get your money six months in advance, he has it. If that indie go go wasn't up, he might lose all those sales come October. It's actually a pretty good idea.

Seems you're his prolific publicity agent, JK. Thgis is a cut and paste post. (which is fine if your creativity is limited).
My simple question is why a man who has mixed and engineered the stars - "even Foreigner" - needs cash help to publish his book.

He explains in the IGG that he's trying to cut out the middleman.

Plus, being a successful engineer doesn't mean he's independently wealthy. The music industry is in a pretty dire place right now. You can be a well-regarded producer, engineer, etc but still not even get work.

He explains in the IGG that he's trying to cut out the middleman.

Yup. Also, in doing it this way means there's no writers advance to offset costs while an enormous amount of time is gobbled up compiling, organizing, and editing the material.
Plus, being a successful engineer doesn't mean he's independently wealthy. The music industry is in a pretty dire place right now. You can be a well-regarded producer, engineer, etc but still not even get work.
Steve, that's a valid point, but I wouldn't assume his financial situation is the sole factor behind the fundraiser. It very easily could be market assessment and engaging the reader base to generate hype. Either way, I don't care. I wanna read it!

I really don't think he's writing books because he's short on work. Eric is one of the most brilliant and articulate and entertaining writers that I've ever seen publish stuff in the music biz and engineering field. He also has an enormous base of connections. I really believe he's doing this because he wants to, and time vs costs/returns works the same way for him as it does for all of us.

Steve, that's a valid point, but I wouldn't assume his financial situation is the sole factor behind the fundraiser. It very easily could be market assessment and engaging the reader base to generate hype. Either way, I don't care. I wanna read it!

I really don't think he's writing books because he's short on work. Eric is one of the most brilliant and articulate and entertaining writers that I've ever seen publish stuff in the music biz and engineering field. He also has an enormous base of connections. I really believe he's doing this because he wants to, and time vs costs/returns works the same way for him as it does for all of us.

Oh yeah, I'm not worried about his financial situation. I just assume that he's comfortable enough to risk independent publishing but not so comfortable that he can afford to go with a vanity press.

Long time fan of his books, after I got the email I sent my payment as soon as I was able. Looking forward to it.

yeah, the music business has changed a lot. As recently as 2002, I knew a guy who had a studio near me. I attended an audio engineer summer camp there and enjoyed it very much. Even took a refresher day on Pro Tools a year or two later. As far as I can tell, since the website is gone, he is no longer in the business. Wonder if he still has the house with the pro recording studio in the basement? From what I can tell, he went into internet based audio gear sales some years later. Maybe he migrated to FaceBook (where I do not tread).

His Twitter page says hes "funded" 22hrs...I think he reached his goal?

..and on April 28 said he was 92% funded.

Attachments

• mixerman.png
    mixerman.png
    408.7 KB · Views: 4
Long time fan of his books, after I got the email I sent my payment as soon as I was able. Looking forward to it.

yeah, the music business has changed a lot. As recently as 2002, I knew a guy who had a studio near me. I attended an audio engineer summer camp there and enjoyed it very much. Even took a refresher day on Pro Tools a year or two later. As far as I can tell, since the website is gone, he is no longer in the business. Wonder if he still has the house with the pro recording studio in the basement? From what I can tell, he went into internet based audio gear sales some years later. Maybe he migrated to FaceBook (where I do not tread).

I believe he indeed migrated to facebook. If you want to get in touch with the old wombats, recpit.net is an unofficial successor (my site, full disclaimer)

Back