Mixer setup help ... 14 channels, not sure what I need?

robains

I need some assistance with my setup and how I want to configure it.

Here is a LARGE image ( 4000 x 4000 pixels) of what "I think" I need. I have all the components in the picture with the exception of the Xenyx Qx2442 USB mixer ... this is the part I'm not sure about and need some advice. I'm sure there is a solution to what I'd like to do, but I'm not sure mixer part of my equation is up to the task?

02407f7023f45bff68451b42e581d6d1.jpg

The basic idea is to keep my higher quality Stereo (Motu & VXT6s) separated from my other work that involves 6 channel output (5.1 - R, L, C, RR, LR, Sub). Separation of video audio from music audio but leaving some flexibility if I wanted to route stereo into the mixer.

The Behringer Xenyx QX2442 USB manul can be found here: http://www.behringer.com/assets/QX2442USB_QX2222USB_QX1832USB_QX1622USB_M_EN.pdf

Any and all advice welcome.

Cheers, Rob.

That would probably work, but it seems a like overkill for that application. You don't need faders and eq, you really just need switching between sources.

I use a home theater receiver that lets me just switch between stereo and multichannel sources. I can listen to a multichannel source direct to the 5.1 speakers, or downmix it to stereo. I can listen to a stereo mix in stereo or in Dolby Pro Logic surround, all through the remote. And I can listen to FM, CD, DVD, iPod etc. on the same system.

In a proper surround mixing environment they may not use a home theater receiver but I bet they also don't use a Behringer mixer.

Thanks for response.

I need to be able to control channel outputs "on the fly" quickly and easily from Computers A, B, C. It is possible I will use the EQ on some sources to filter low frequency noise and boost mids.

I have another smaller Behringer and haven't experience any issues with it, audio quality is excellent. At some point I may route the Mixer direct outputs or sub (as in sub group) outputs to my Motu for recording and route the outputs from the Motu to the Amps. My biggest concern is the Sub (sub group) outputs as then can be assigned to 1-2 and 3-4 but the documentation doesn't explain exactly what that means. The output may simply still be Stereo and that would be a problem.

Cheers, Rob.

I need to be able to control channel outputs "on the fly" quickly and easily from Computers A, B, C. It is possible I will use the EQ on some sources to filter low frequency noise and boost mids.

If you're doing some sort of live production for an audience I can see this being useful, otherwise I would apply level and eq in the computer where the quality will be far superior. Maybe you need to explain what exactly you're trying to do. Is the 5.1 output of the speakers for reference monitoring or for some sort of live thing with an audience? If it's for reference then you definitely don't want to mess with eq and levels once it's properly set up. If it's for a live thing then 5.1 is not likely to be a good idea.

I have another smaller Behringer and haven't experience any issues with it, audio quality is excellent. At some point I may route the Mixer direct outputs or sub (as in sub group) outputs to my Motu for recording and route the outputs from the Motu to the Amps.

The quality of the Behringer is adequate for many tasks. I'd be hesitant to make all my audio pass through it and I'd find a way to route things more directly unless I really needed analog faders and eq. Again, if this is for a reference monitoring setup avoid the mixer. If it's for a performance then a mixer could be a useful thing, except that surround live generally isn't a good thing.

My biggest concern is the Sub (sub group) outputs as then can be assigned to 1-2 and 3-4 but the documentation doesn't explain exactly what that means. The output may simply still be Stereo and that would be a problem.

Subgroup outputs aren't assigned to anything, they are outputs. You assign inputs to outputs (subgroup, main) as desired, in stereo pairs. You use the pan controls to direct inputs to the left or right side of a subgroup or main mix stereo pair. All six channels of a 5.1 analog audio stream will be kept separate.

Thanks again for the response.

Agree, not the "Best" mixer, but my equipment doesn't need to be Pro studio quality. It needs to be good for the 98% :)

I'm not doing "live audience" but I am doing "live sessions" (with the possibility of live recordings) ... meaning some of the PC's output real time audio that I have no control over at source other than just mixing. Agree mixing should be set, but unfortunately no such luxury in my situation as my sources can be live 5.1 streams from the internet and involve variance in mic levels and other audio levels which I have no control over. I need to be able to manage the output from each channel and adjust as quickly as possible ... it will "ok" to hear the change in levels even if not desirable.

The Motu is dual purpose, if you notice it's pretty much out of the equation in the my diagram, BUT it could be IN the equation when/if I need to record the Mixer output of all 6 individual channels. This would be post production process along with video recordings. When the Motu is out of the equation, it's primary function is music creation via Cakewalk/Keyboard in standard 2 Channel output (used to introduce music in video productions).

So my key question on the Mixer I have in my diagram, can I manage all 14 channels into corresponding 6 channels of outputs (L, R, C, RR, RL, Sub)?

But to be clear, I'm not a professional audio engineer and one isn't required for the work I'm doing ... it's relatively basic, I'm actually a software engineer but volunteered to do this additional work as a good learning experience.

I can't get into too many details about my sources due to NDAs, but lets just say I'm doing "flight simulation" based audio management in networked environments (including shared cockpit) for a large defense contractor for training purposes.

Cheers, Rob.

It looks like it should work for that. Be sure to use the stereo-only channels for stereo pairs rather than for center+sub pairs, but perhaps you've got that figured out already.

Ah, yes ... thanks, will need to adjust my diagram channel connections somewhat for that.

Cheers, Rob.

The reason I'd do that is in case I wanted to use the stereo output of the board to monitor or capture a live stereo downmix of the surround inputs. If a center+sub pair is on a stereo channel one would be stuck on the right and the other would be stuck on the left. With the center and sub inputs on mono channels you can leave the pans centered and you'll get (by your diagram) sub output on subgroup outs 3 and 4, center output on 7 and 8, and both would appear centered in the main mix.

Just a followup to this, unfortunately the QX2442USB will not accomplish what I needed to do with 5.1 (6 channel output). "Mixed" output will always be 2 channel so there is no way I could feed that 2 channel output to my 8 channel (2X4) amps that will control each LF, LR, RF, RR, Center, Sub.

However, I did return the QX2442USB ($400) and was able to get 3 smaller mixers ($70 each) that do exactly what I needed:

34a77326001d856fbbbed37fa962058c.jpg

c5b9bce6917423a11f5e0660bf38054d.jpg

08d3a68a3ace996ca971fc4085bcf57c.jpg

bbca1d3e0e89ca4c99eba4d58d3133a6.jpg

Just wanted to let others know who might be wanting to have 2 or 3 computer 5.1 output routine to a single input source.

Cheers, Rob.

Back