mix/master an acoustic guitar piece (acoustic and vox)

shackrock

are there any tips for mixing/mastering a song that is just acoustic guitar and vocals?

i mean, i know that on some crap in my car when i listen, if I bass boost mass, it just sounds terrible. haha. are there freaquencies i should cut/boost as a general rule, and i can go from there. ?

i dont know, just wondering - cuz i got it to sound pretty good here, but i think it could still be better.

thanks

Well, mixing-wise, it's pretty hard to mess up.

It's not like you've got a lot of competition going on, sonically-speaking. Like RE said, you'll probably want to roll off some bass on the accoustic track -- I'd usually start a very gentle/modest shelf or rolloff around 300 hz.

Probably the trickiest thing is not to over-do it or overthink it. You don't need a lot of reverb -- a very small touch goes a long way. And compression should be kept very light, also -- try and be as transparent with it as possible, as any artifacts will be very apparent (magnified, actually) in such a simple mix. So the challenge is to keep it simple and not get all Mutt Lang on it. :D

In terms of tracking, I think it's important to record in a good-sounding or dead room, and back the mic off more than you'd normally feel comfortable with. I find myself backing it up to about 3 feet and sometimes a little more. That should prevent most all of the bass problem RE spoke about, and it helps get a more natural sound, imho.

If it's only one song.....

If you don't mind I'll take the time to Master it for you. I would do it as a favour of course as long as you give me credit for the Mastering job. Let me know what you decide.

Sonicpaint

Back