Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Metering in digital domain

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I think there was some snipping earlier...from a few sides.
    I mean, I saw all the posts that gecko zzed had to delete, yours, his, etc...but why don't we all just move on from that.
    Let's not re-stir a new debate about who was arguing with who.

This is still a good topic, and some solid on-topic info here.
    There were/are some strong views...people get passionate and caught up in the moment.
    I think everyone did it to some extent.
    Good advice, im just as much to blame but lets move on like you said.
    I7 2600k sandy bridge, 16gb corsair vengeance low pro ram, RME HDSPe Raydat, Behringer ada8000's, crucial m4 128gb ssd, two 1tb caviar black sata III 6gb/s - 64mb cache, Windows 7 pro 64 bit, Sonar x1 producer expanded, FL studio 9 producer,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by offcenter2005 View Post
    Maybe im not doing it right on the front end but ill use the PFL on the channel and set the gain to peak between 0 and +3, then will adjust the pre on my converter to peak around -12 to -6 in the DAW. I dont like the pres on my converters so they are generally set very low. I get a very nice clean signal and go with it. Does this sound like a good start?
    "PFL on the channel"....maybe you mentioned it earlier....but are you then going through a mixer pre, before the pre on the converter...???

What is your chain....mic to DAW?

Thanks
    "PFL on the channel"....maybe you mentioned it earlier....but are you then going through a mixer pre, before the pre on the converter...???

What is your chain....mic to DAW?
    When at home demoing some guitar tracks ill run my guitar to a Pod XT then to lets say channel 1 of my Allen & Heath, then check the gain with the PFL and get it to the 0 to +3 on the meter, then use a quarter inch chord from the direct out of that channel to the converter and usually i can keep the converters pre very low, just low enough to peak in my DAW at no more than -12. Ill also use the sonalksis free g to check peak and RMS levels. It sounds very clean without any noticeable hum or hiss. If im not doing this right could you give mean example of how you would set this up. If it helps i can post a link to a guitar track sample recorded this way.
    I7 2600k sandy bridge, 16gb corsair vengeance low pro ram, RME HDSPe Raydat, Behringer ada8000's, crucial m4 128gb ssd, two 1tb caviar black sata III 6gb/s - 64mb cache, Windows 7 pro 64 bit, Sonar x1 producer expanded, FL studio 9 producer,

Thanks
    What's the reason for the A&H board in the chain...monitoring?
    Can you monitor the input right off the pre/converter?

What is your chain when you are using a mic...?

Thanks
    What's the reason for the A&H board in the chain...monitoring?
    Can you monitor the input right off the pre/converter?

What is your chain when you are using a mic...?
    I do monitor through the converters. Im using Behringer ada8000 converters so i just figured that id get better results from the pres in the A&H board. I use the same chain when using mics without the pod though. Also the A&H has a pretty decent eq with sweepable high and low mids and sweepable high frequencies just to get a little better coloration of the sound before going to the PC.

Thanks
    OK...but then you are going: guitar--->Pod--->A&H pres(?)--->Direct Out--->pre/converter.....?
    Mmmm...often the Direct Out is just a foldback of the input, so I don't know if on your A&H you are even touching it's channel preamp and getting any benefit from it...???

If you want to use the A&H pre...can you just go: guitar--->Pod--->A&H pre--->Line out to Line In on converter...?
    Can you skip the pre on the converter?

That way, set your pre level at the A&H, and just send a nominal Line level signal to the converter....leaving the converter input gain also at nominal, and letting the premap dicatate the level.
    If you bump up the A&H channel level/Line level output...then it's not just the preamp level hitting the converter.

You do have a few things in the chain, so I can see how it's easy for levels to get skewed and confusing.

Thanks
    OK...but then you are going: guitar--->Pod--->A&H pres(?)--->Direct Out--->pre/converter.....?
    Mmmm...often the Direct Out is just a foldback of the input, so I don't know if on your A&H you are even touching it's channel preamp and getting any benefit from it...???

If you want to use the A&H pre...can you just go: guitar--->Pod--->A&H pre--->Line out to Line In on converter...?
    Can you skip the pre on the converter?

That way, set your pre level at the A&H, and just send a nominal Line level signal to the converter....leaving the converter input gain also at nominal, and letting the premap dicatate the level.
    If you bump up the channe level/Line level output...you it's not just the preamp level.
    I did some research on being able to bypass the pres on the converters but i dont think you can. From what i understand though as long as you keep the gain nob down on the converter it will create a cleaner signal. I know this could open another can of worms but from what is said on other forums if it would be possible to eliminate the pres on the ada8000s those budget converters would rule the market for anything under two grand. They say that the pres are the only thing that really ruins those converters.

Thanks
    Direct out is most definitely after the preamp. It's not just a pass-through for the input.

You can skip the mic preamp of the pre/converter by going into the line input. There is still gain control marked according to the expected input level. The nominal level of the direct outputs (of a MixWizard WZ3) is 0dBu so I'd set the input gain of the ADA8000 a bit above the +4 marking and do the rest of my gain setting at the mixer's preamp.

Thanks
    if i would go in and tame just that little spike would that be an efficient way of fixing the problem without lowering that channels place in the mix?
    Again, these are two different things. If the brief over is an audible problem, then sure, you can fix that like you'd fix a popping P or sibilant S - lower the volume or use EQ for just that moment. But if it's not a problem, then you don't have to do anything. As long as the master output bus doesn't clip, what you hear while mixing is what you'll get in the final Wave file render.

--Ethan

Thanks
    They say that the pres are the only thing that really ruins those converters.
    Who's they? And don't get me started!

--Ethan

Thread Information