MATCHING EQs of different songs..?

Mixing Iron Maiden tracks? Do tell... :)

Frequencies to focus on depend on the singer, mic, room, and preamp used to record, as well as how it works in any particular song. There is no standard.

If someone has set in their settings to get notifications, then yes they are notified of a new post in a thread they have posted in.

Hmm.. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me..
I recently listened through maiden's catalog and found 72 songs that use the same chord progression as a structural part of the song.. I thought it would make for an entertaining music theory video if I arranged all the bits into a single sequence.. Now just gotta fine tune the mix! Much thanks for your time and help, kind sir!

Dan

There is a donation ware called Auto Audio Mastering System (AAMS) that, apparently, does something similar to HarBal. I've used it a bit over the past few weeks and am impressed. Here's the link: AAMS

The program is not a VST- each clip would be "auto mastered" outside of your DAW and then the modified clips would be "assembled" however you like in your DAW.

Very well done! I didn't realize it was switching songs until about the third song...
Always admired this band. Now, somewhat more. Making the same chord progression sound so many different ways over 15 years cannot be an easy feat.
Bravo!

Now for the real question, did you assign each song a fader and match them up? Spectrum analyzer?
How did you get 15 years of music to sound like one coherent track?

Hey thanks for checking out the vid!

Ya, I automated the volume of each clip.. I ended up doing the bulk of the work by ear.. balancing out dynamics, planning pitch automation for key changes, looking for connections between different melodies.. most of the EQing was focused on bringing fuzzed out vocals into the foreground.. Oh, if you don't mind a few questions.. do you think there was enough visual interest to keep your eyes sufficiently entertained? Did the final image of the bass guitar make sense?

thanks!
dan

Yes. I'm a Steve Harris fan, so following the bass in Maiden is not a problem for me. Plenty to watch as you listen to the same three chords forever... :D Actually, there are a few guitar chords that go to other places while he holds the 7, but who's picking? One thing, though. The red Maiden font makes it really, REALLY hard to read the lists of songs. Maybe a brighter red, or yellow? I've seen the bass that Eddie's holding at the end, but not sure how that ties to IM. I stopped listening around '91

Ya, literally about 60% of the time I spent on the project was trying to figure out why some of the text blurred out into oblivion after Youtube (and Vimeo) upload. I actually ran it by half a dozen Youtube/Adobe-experienced people (including a few computer tutors), and no one could figure it out :$ ... It looks pretty decent, though, if you change the stream settings to HD (as mentioned in the opening text).. did that still yield the same blurry result for you?

I changed the bass guitar visual at the end so that it only had three frets (to emphasize the idea that all the songs were based around only three harmonies).. do you think i could've/should've tried to make this 'tongue in cheek' nod more clear/obvious?

Thanks!!

Good stuff man. Font looks fine in HD here. Very fuzzy at 360p.

I was originally a guitar player until turned 16. It somehow was quite natural for me to play Steve Harris bass lines. I soon was able to duplicate every Maiden bass line. My friends used to call me Jimmy Harris. :)

Yeah, there was always a huge similarity to the song structures but they were able to pull it off while still writing different songs. Why? Because the are Iron F**king Maiden! Up the irons! \m/

I stopped listening so much around the mid 90's. About the time I switched to drums.

I might have place the three frets full steps apart to be more accurate.

Mr. Harris,
thanks for the feedback!
Up the irons, indeed! Ya, I heard they hit a lull in the 90's with the new singer and all..

thanks for the fret suggestion.. I wanted to aim the vid at the musical layman, so I figured that
the visual of 3 frets would communicate more clearly than 5 frets.. but I'll do some more
experimenting..

gracias!

Yes they did hit a big lull in the 90's with the new singer, but Dickinson returned in 2000 and has been making albums with them since.

Back