making the drums reall bang! for you hiphop heads

JHOOKS

so today i am messing around with my compressors and i was playing with the rcomp from waves. this is realllll extreme settings but boy did this make my drums really bang!
1. bus all your drums to a group channel
2. insert the waves rcomp on that newly created group channel.
3. set the THRESH to -30
set the GAIN to +19
set the ATTACK to 45.5
set the RELEASE to 83.8
set the RATIO to 11.83
and bang!!! there you have it, this works really good on the snare and kick, the hi hat might pump in and out, but play with the attack and release or the threshold depending on your drum sounds. peace

JHOOKS said:
you have to just tweak it alil......

No shit?

Seriously, giving people advice like this is like telling them that size 9.5 shoes will make you run the fastest, or that a 3.16 Db boost at 2,148 Hz with a Q of .631 is the best thing for making a vocal sound good.

How about just say this: If you crank up the compression to rediculous levels, it will really make your sound fat! However it will probably also make it sound like shit...so experiment as needed. ;)

ok you got me with the one size fits all shit! but as far as sounding like shit, well... try again. im talking about hiphop music, no rules in this genre. and really no need for the fucking attitidude who gave you the right to come out your face! are you the fucking "best engineer in the world?" no! we all are fucking rookies in here! so chill ! "damn im high" :eek: i love this forum! man fuck this P.S. i said the rcomp waves compressor, i tried this setting on numerous drum sounds and its been giving me that commerical sound! how the hell is a person name metalhead going to reply to a hiphop tip?i dont no why i bother with these forums!

Last edited:
JHOOKS said:
ok you got me with the one size fits all shit! but as far as sounding like shit, well... try again. im talking about hiphop music, no rules in this genre. and really no need for the fucking attitidude who gave you the right to come out your face! are you the fucking "best engineer in the world?" no! we all are fucking rookies in here! so chill ! "damn im high" :eek: i love this forum! man fuck this P.S. i said the rcomp waves compressor, i tried this setting on numerous drum sounds and its been giving me that commerical sound! how the hell is a person name metalhead going to reply to a hiphop tip?i dont no why i bother with these forums!

why don't you post a sample? maybe a before and after?

I find that the best recipe for comping drums is to start with a ratio of 1:1 at a threshold of 0dBFS with the attack and release both set at the middle.

Then just tweak from there.

G.

JHOOKS said:

how did you get on the internet? your specific "tips" won't apply to 99.999% of users in here because they're not using the same equipment, samples, etc as you. if you're so confident of your mixing skills to rip on established members of the forum, back it up and post a sample.

JHOOKS said:
How the hell is a person name metalhead going to reply to a hiphop tip?

LOL - JHooks does have a point there perhaps! And if 'established members' showed a little more restraint instead of ripping on people themselves....

with a 45ms attack you are letting a lot of the drum attack and initial drum sound through, then compressing the middle and tail right?

stands to reason that it would sound good for hip-hop because you would have that tight-n-crisp timbaland drum sound, but it would really pump-n-breath... which is bad for hip-hop too.

so you are using the compressor like a gate that reduces the level of the sound by compressing it Xms after the trigger rather than completely cutting off the sound Yms after the sound level goes below Zdb.

what would happen if you applied those compressor settings to the kick and snare individually (in their own track fx) and left the hat and cymbals without the compression? the space between the kick and snare hits in their own track space should keep it from p-n-b.

hopefully, I'll remember to give it a go this weekend.

JHOOKS said:
ok you got me with the one size fits all shit! but as far as sounding like shit, well... try again. im talking about hiphop music, no rules in this genre.
The way you're describing it I wouldn't necessarily call it music. :/
and really no need for the fucking attitidude who gave you the right to come out your face! are you the fucking "best engineer in the world?" no! we all are fucking rookies in here! so chill !
There are plenty of people on this forum who are not novices and simply have been on the forums longer than you. And metalhead was completely correct. High levels of compression often do sound like shit. I find no reason for you to start flaming him.
"damn im high" :eek: i love this forum! man fuck this P.S. i said the rcomp waves compressor, i tried this setting on numerous drum sounds and its been giving me that commerical sound! how the hell is a person name metalhead going to reply to a hiphop tip?i dont no why i bother with these forums!
Until you post any examples of your work, most people are going to be extremely doubtful that you are getting a "commercial" sound. Commercial is overrated anyways. The goal is supposed to be what sounds best.

JHOOKS said:
"damn im high" :eek:
Listen to it once you've sobered up ;) Not saying that what you've done would make it sound like shit (pumping and breathing aren't necessarily bad things either, just depends on the tune). But you might have a different perception once you're sober and not think it's "commercial quality" ;)

JHOOKS said:

Chill out man! At no point did I make any of those claims about myself. And notice that I said that most music would PROBABLY sound like shit at those compression levels. If you think I'm wrong about that, then you're crazy. Why so defensive? I think you're making my post into something it wasn't. I was simply warning others that your advice was kind of silly. Besides, it would be better for a rookie to learn how to actually use a compressor correctly rather than just be handed some extreme settings to try. Having no idea what the program material is there is no way to recommend a setting for a compressor. That was my point. Besides, isn't alot of Hip Hop music samples anyway? Perhaps some people's beats need hardly any compression. You've gotta allow me to at least make that kind of a point without getting your panties in a wad. I'm just being realistic.

Last edited:
albumleaf said:
how did you get on the internet? your specific "tips" won't apply to 99.999% of users in here because they're not using the same equipment, samples, etc as you. if you're so confident of your mixing skills to rip on established members of the forum, back it up and post a sample.

look dog i come at people the way they come at me. ok. so if you come at me str8 then its peace but if you come at me side ways then what do you expect? i read said my peace to metalhead. so everybody chill.

crosstudio said:
with a 45ms attack you are letting a lot of the drum attack and initial drum sound through, then compressing the middle and tail right?

stands to reason that it would sound good for hip-hop because you would have that tight-n-crisp timbaland drum sound, but it would really pump-n-breath... which is bad for hip-hop too.

so you are using the compressor like a gate that reduces the level of the sound by compressing it Xms after the trigger rather than completely cutting off the sound Yms after the sound level goes below Zdb.

what would happen if you applied those compressor settings to the kick and snare individually (in their own track fx) and left the hat and cymbals without the compression? the space between the kick and snare hits in their own track space should keep it from p-n-b.

hopefully, I'll remember to give it a go this weekend.
let me know how it works for you.

Back