makeup vs output

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, thanks for everyone's help. And especially to Tad for pointing out the dry/wet concept. Looks like we all (for the most part) learned something. And thanks for the debate - hope no one was offended. :thumbs up:

Well...I'm sure if you had posted a pic of the compressor GUI in your first couple of posts we could have cut to the chase sooner. :)

Anyway...none of this really has anything to do with old school VS new school as though it's a competition or as though there are many completely different ways to record audio (formats aside).

A compressor or a preamp or EQ at its basic form was/is the same concept back in the day as it is now....hardware or software.
Most new/current hardware follows the same design concepts that were in use "back in the day", so you still have to understand gain staging and signal paths and all that good stuff.
I mean...that "standard" has not changed...it's just that recording newbs who dive into a DAW, never get the opportunity to learn or understand those things without a lot of backtracking and confusion, especially when faced with some added feature sets that might be found in newer hardware designs...and especially software designs.

Recording still follows the same basic rules and standards as it always has. People these days are just given way too many options out of the gate, without those basics under their belts....and it's pretty evident that it's mainly the digital recording newbs who ask the most recording "concept" questions and recording technique questions and the basic "where do I put the mic" and such studio questions. So there certainly is a lack of recording foundation basics.

Some of the old analog guys just ask basic computer "how to" questions...but the audio stuff translates very fast from the old school analog to digital world once you get past the computer "freak out" that some old timers go through.

Also...with an "old shcool" analog signal chain...you really had/have to understand what you were doing, and you still have to if you use lots of analog gear...whereas plugs and software tend to be more forgiving. Gain staging is almost non-existent for digital newbs...shit just gets inserted left and right, and often, I hate to say it, there appears to be total confusion about what *should* go where, because DAWs let you pretty much stick anything anywhere...unlike consoles and patchbays and hardware that will quickly let you know when something isn't hooked up right or when your gain staging is all screwed up. :D

well i think Tad is the first one who figured that out.

What I'm saying is that the "standard" is changing. The new standard is what we have now. Just like when you started with analog, the people who recorded before you didn't have the devices, settings, and controls that you had then. You can rationalize it however you want, but it's still the same thing. The standard changes.

You are misinterpreting my use of the word 'standard'. The 5 parameters that I listed are the parameters that (nearly) every compressor has. You can add another couple parameters like knee, side chain, etc..., but those things are the basic controls of a compressor. That's what I meant by 'standard'. I didn't mean "what everyone is putting into compression VST's".

Any of these other things are special controls that are about routing and configuration, but not really compression. There are three things going on in that VST, compression is one of them, a parallel path with a mix control is another and a high pass filter in the side chain is the third.

The compressor section has a couple extra knobs, but they are just extra ways of dialing in the basic 5 parameters. The sidechain filter and the mix and output are not part of the compressor section.

If you had asked why that specific compressor VST has both controls, this thread would have been 3 posts long.

If you had asked why that specific compressor VST has both controls, this thread would have been 3 posts long.

"Some compressors I've been using have both options. Time to use one or another?" - is that not good enough? I'm sorry, i'll let you write my posts next time. It actually just seems like the "supposed-to-know" people are feeling embarrassed about not knowing something. So you're looking for things to make up for that. The question was straightforward. It's ok to not know something, you don't need to feel sour about it.

There is no "misinterpreting" of the word "standard". It has a definition. That's what a dictionary is for. It seems you're trying to mold it into something to fit your rationale. The people before you did not have fancy compressors. To them, your viewpoint is the same as mine. Things are digital now. Those digital tools have new standards to suit the capabilities of fast computers and to better respond to quick peaks/spikes in music. Change happens.

To be honest, I think RFR has it backwards. The older group seems to be the ones constantly trying to defend their position.

To be honest, I think you're just antagonistic. :D
Seems like threads you're involved in break down sooner or later.

It actually just seems like the "supposed-to-know" people are feeling embarrassed about not knowing something. So you're looking for things to make up for that.

The older group seems to be the ones constantly trying to defend their position.

:D

Thing is...no one was/is questioning your knowledge and experience....people are just trying to explain what audio basics would apply no matter if it's old school or new school or any of that stuff...and Jay and others actually do know what they are talking about....there is nothing for anyone to be "embarrassed" about who you are lumping into some "older group".

You're just now throwing all this crap into this thread to save face, but again, no one was targeting you with anything.

Keep in mind who it is that is always asking questions around here...and who it is that always has answers.
All I was saying is that digital recording newbs are the former 9-out of-10 times...and the so-called "older group" are the latter 9-out of -10 times. :)

No, it's the difference between a car with a standard transmission (one with a clutch and stick shift) and a car with an automatic transmission that comes as standard equipment.

If you think I'm being defensive, you are completely misinterpreting what I'm saying. I'm simply explaining where the communication breakdown is. I wasn't scolding you for not properly phrasing the question.

What's funny...is I've got two Overstayer hardware comps that have a wet/dry mix knob (it's a cool feature) though it's not a common option...but I had no idea that's what the plug-in in question had. It wasn't mentioned.
All I understood was that there were two level controls, and the OP was asking why/what/how.

Again...a better explanation of the plug's features (just saying, not criticizing) or a pic of the plug's GUI would have helped answer the questions after a couple of posts. :)

To be honest, I think you're just antagonistic. :D
Seems like threads you're involved in break down sooner or later.

This is a prime example of the pot calling the kettle black. Of the hundreds of threads I've posted in, this has happened maybe 5 times. You're usually there.

Read your first contribution to this thread and reanalyze that comment. Theres your answer for who stirs it up.

Sorry guys, as soon you you didnt know the answer, and then thought output was input, you got defensive. That's when things turned. Its plain to see.

Anyhow, I explained I couldn't provide a pic. I usually do. I wasn't able to at the moment. What could I possibly be saving face on? When did I lose it? Someone was embarased they didn't know what make up gain was. And it wasn't me.

Problems solved. Everyone learned something.

I read these threads and see your condescending, passive agressive, argumentative, defensive posts to people who are trying to help you. That is what inspires my posts in your threads.
I myself have tried to help and inspire you, and have gotten bitten in the ass, been reported, and have had you turn on me. Just like a fucking rattlesnake.

So yeah, while I apreciate and support your musical efforts, as a human being, I don't think much of you.

I read these threads and see your condescending, passive agressive, argumentative, defensive posts to people who are trying to help you. That is what inspires my posts in your threads.
I myself have tried to help and inspire you, and have gotten bitten in the ass, been reported, and have had you turn on me. Just like a fucking rattlesnake.

So yeah, while I apreciate and support your musical efforts, as a human being, I don't think much of you.

Lol. The only person in this thread to throw a personal insult is the one saying I Have a problem. Dude. What are you smoking

Since the questioned was answered about three pages ago, and what has followed n the last three pages is the usual na na na, I reckon it is time to put it to bed. Night, night everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back