Mackie inserts

mikemoritz

I have a question regarding the channel inserts on a 1402 mackie. If one were to use two channel inserts as direct outs, would those two channels still come out the main outs? I guess the question is, can I route all the channels I'll be using for drums through the mackie, and separate the bass drum and snare by running channel inserts direct to the recorder, and then run the main outs to the recorder also for the other four channels?

Sorry for the confusing wording,
Mike

how my 1604 works

that's how my 1604 works.

if you put the 1/4" all the way into the channel insert, then it won't go to the main outs.

then you essentially create a subgroup of the other channels by using the main outs, or aux outs.

I've got Y cables connected to my channel inserts so i can record direct and monitor on the same channel. this isn't what you are talking about, i just thought i'd add that in for good measure.

mikemoritz said:

If one were to use two channel inserts as direct outs, would those two channels still come out the main outs?

If you only put the jack in up to the first click you can use it as a direct out without interrupting the signal so it will still come out the main outs.

Vox and Crosstudio are correct.

For your purposes, it sounds like you do not want the bass and snare running through the mains. As you can probably infer, you would the push the jacks all the way in the insert point to bypass the mains. That way, the bass would come out the bass insert and the snare would come out the snare insert. Neither would come out the mains. Of course, you would also bypass the faders and would use the trims for level control.

You can also assign the bass and snare to the aux ports and pan each hard left and right for the respective outputs. This would allow you to use the faders as well as the trims to control your output level.

Me

Back