Mackie 24x8 and Channel Inserts.

rsone

Hello all,

I just picked up a used mackie 24x8 and I didn't get a manual for it and I have a couple of questions maybe some guru here can help me out. First off this thing is pretty nuts compared to the pieces of junk I have owned before. My main question right now is hooking up like say compressors on each channel. I thought about using the aux sends that didn't work right so I took the Direct out from the channel plugged it into the in on my compressor then plugged the out into the channel insert on the mixer. It sounds like it worked. Is this the right way of doing it?

Thanks for the help.
Ray.

Nope. You need a "Y" cable; 1 TRS (1/4" stereo) connector (Input/Output for the console) to 2 1/4" mono connectors (Input/Output for the compressor).

Need more details?

I have a bit of a problem with my mackie 24x8 I have a insert snake on channels 1-8 connecting to 4 compressors everything seems to be hooked up properly but I either get no signal or a really weak one, but if I remove the insert cable from the channel the signal comes in perfect? I dont really know what the problem could be, if anyone could help thanx alot!

If you have 4 compressors, then the max use of chnnels w/ a compressor routed in the chain can only be 4 at a time.

Are you saying that when you do get a signal out of the compressor, it's not very loud. Remember the gain knob(s). Also, make sure you're line level signals going into the compressors are the same as what's coming out of the channel insrets.

For example:
-10dbu out to -10dbu in. Or +4dbm out to +4dbm in.

Well I have 4 compressors but each compressor has 2 sides (channel A. Channel B. etc...) so I have them setup on channels 1-8.

but yes the signal is either weak or not there at all and i've upped the gain on the channels and still does very little? and the compressors are all on bypass, I also put fx thru on the inserts to check that and I get the same results?????

Thanx alot for your time and help!

Exactly how do you have them hooked-up?
Are you getting any signal to the compressors?

Do your compressors have an Input Level switch on the back? For example "-10" or "+4".

Also, I'm talking about the gain knob on the comressors, not the channels on the board.

I have 2 insert snakes hooked up to the 4 compressors, tip - out ring - in

now that I fooled around a bit more I can get the compressor to show a signal thru it what I do is turn the trim up on the mixer and then on the mix-b level but this still doesn't seem right? not too mention my compressor doesn't seem to do anything even if i turn up the threshold it should distort the signal but it isn't doing that either, I'm confused now???

Back