Mackie 1202 Setup Question

stevebusch

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a Mackie 1202 to solve the following problem:

When recording with the mic input on my computer(SB Live Platinum soundcard), the line input becomes deactivated and I can't monitor the signal coming in from my digital piano, so I can't hear the midi parts, or metronome. I could put headphones into the piano, but then I wouldn't hear the audio tracks in the computer.

Can I plug the mic, piano, and computer into the Mackie, monitor the whole thing, while only sending the mic signal into the computer. My fear is that if I want to monitor the piano, it will also be sent from the mixer to the computer and be recorded with the mic.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
Steve

The Mackie would be perfect for what you want to do. Here's how. Plug your mic(low Z XLR) into channel one (the first four have mic pre's and channel inserts). Use the insert on this channel as your send to the computer input. Then the output of the computer to one of the stereo channel strips and likewise the output of your keyboards and anything else you need to monitor. Use the main outputs of the 1202 to drive your monitors, what ever they are.

Thanks.
I was hoping the mixer would have that capability.

Is it a huge hassle to configure this setup to record the piano, or is it just a matter of moving one cable?

More or less. You could plug the audio out of the keyboard directly into the input of the soundcard or if you need more gain plug the keyboard into two channels that have inserts on them (for stereo) and use the inserts as sends. That way you can use the trim to set levels.

Just to pick your brain further...
Could the main output of the mixer go into the computer thus sending the piano and any other midi devices into a stereo signal to be recorded. OR will the computer signal coming into the mixer send feedback back into the computer.

In other words, how do I monitor the computer and piano using the mixer, but only send the piano to the computer, and not the computer signal too. Do the tape-inputs get sent into the final mix (Me thinks not?) but can you monitor from the tape input at the same time as the other line inputs and mic inputs?

Your suggestion about using the insert only really works with the mic, otherwise I think I need to use the main outputs.

Thanks again for your advice, and to anyone else who might have suggestions.

Like I said above, to record the stereo audio from your keyboard only you could do it in a couple of different ways. First, I'm assuming your sound card has a stereo line input. You could plug that directly into the output of the keys. Or you could plug the output of the keys into two of the mic channels of the 1202 and the patch it to the input of the sound card from the two channels inserts which would give you level control and some additional gain from the trim pots at the top of the channel strips. Does that make sense to you? You definatly would not want to use the main or tape outs from the Mackie or you would start ringing for sure.

Back