low cost active monitors

jdechant

Hello all,

I am on a very tight budget and am looking for a pair of low cost, but good active near field monitors...

I have taken a look at the new M-Audio SP-5B's but the frequency resonse drops off below 200Hz...

I have been looking but cannot find anything else..

sheilding would be nice cause they will be near a computer monitor...

I am looking for ones less than $300 for the pair... I know it's a stretch but there has to be something out there for home studios that is within this range...

any thoughts on the Samson DMS80 Desktop Monitor System?? not active, but an amp is included with the system... heres some of its specks I pulled of the PDF mannual...
S/N ratio: 72dB
Total harmonic distortion 0.05% at 1kHz
DA80(amp) frequency response:12Hz to 45kHz +0/-3dB any power level
speaker's frequency response: 40Hz to 18kHz
magnet: shielded

peace

thanks spinster,

I've taken a look at the 20/20's but as you said they are passive and almost break my budget by themselves...

seeing as I don't have a power amp (well I do, but its 1200watts and for my PA system... don't think I wanna hook studio monitors up to a 1200watt amp) passive monitors do me no good unless of coarse they come with a seperate power amp as part of the package like the Samson DMS80 system does...

again they don't have to be ultra professional... just something suitable for home recording projects that has a good frequency response...

anybody got any other ideas?

Gidge's low cost solution.....passive monitors......

get a pair of decent passive monitors...I have a pair of Tannoy Proto J's that serve me well....until you can afford an amp, power them with a home stereo reciever if you have one laying around?.....
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/pressrel.nsf/articles/ABA5FC0ED2BDCFFD8625687900817AB2

also, doing a search of ProtoJ, i came up with this site...how lame can you get.....
http://www.iosphere.net/~bvaleria/bluebear/bb_gear.htm

you can pick up a pair of Proto J's for well under $200.....got mine for $185.....MacMidiMusic has them for $189...if you have an online dealer preference, most of them will match....

If you have to get an amp, you can pick up a Samson Servo 120 power amp for $150.....i picked up a Hafler TA1000 from GC for $150, but Im da man:D

what about...

what do you guys think about the Alesis M1 active Mk2's??

they're a little outta my price range, but not too much... $499 for a pair of them...

Frequency Range: 38 Hz - 23.5 kHz

seems pretty good...

anybody have any experience with these or hear anything about them?

I dont like Alesis monitors....theie ADAT's rule......

if you are gonna stratch your budget, go for the best in that price range....

JBL LSR25p's
Full Compass has then on sale for $450/pr...did around you may find a better price....

Cool Gidge...

the JBL LSR25P's were actually near the top of my list and came highly reccomened for low cost monitors... but everywhere I've looked there were at least $600 for a pair... thanks for the info..

P.s... what don't you like about the Alesis M1 active Mk2's??? from what I've seen they've won a couple of awards for their excellence

as in any product there is always MUCH better available... but the one driving thing is money... which I don't have alot of... If I did I would get the best monitors money can buy... but I can't so I am limited in my choices and those choices are few and far between

I think at the price of the Alesis' you can do much better.....i say the same thing....JBL's.....

Back