Lost Snare Drum In Mix

gwr310188

Good Evening
I done a recording about 12 years ago of my punk ska band, we recorded the drums on 8 multi tracks, but the snare drum didnt work, but we didn't realise until we came to mix it, once all the kit was broken down, you can hear the snare in the over heads/over mics, but on the snare channel it didnt come out, not sure if it was a faulty lead, microphone or channel.

My question to you good people is how can i take the snare from one of the other recorded microphones, but have no bleed of the other drums/cymbals???

I will be mixing on Logic Pro X, also have Waves complete bundle plugins if this helps??

Please help

Thanks

George

What's the situation -with the O/H or kit mics? Assuming that's where you'd start.. If the snare was strong it might at least be 'prominent, worthy of duplicating/stripping?

Yep, you can make it happen by triggering a snare from the overheads.

Do you have ability to send the individual tracks? Or just the final mix? That will determine how tough it will be to make happen. And how much work/time it will be to get it done.

I'd recommend trying to recapture a few samples of the snare to start with. Put it back up with the same mic again and thwack it a few times.

Then layer in the sample to match the snare hits in the OHs. Depending on how closely things match, you may need to either turn the sampled snare down so it's not too obvious or make the OH "duck" the snare hits so that version of the snare isn't audible.

Yep, you can make it happen by triggering a snare from the overheads.

Do you have ability to send the individual tracks? Or just the final mix? That will determine how tough it will be to make happen. And how much work/time it will be to get it done.

I will try and get the individual tracks posted

I've isolated individual drums captured with just stereo mic setups in protools. I imagine in any daw this could be done.

You duplicate the track and in the 'copy' you eq the shit out of it to eliminate things you don't want.

I've gotten acceptable results in live recordings just duplicating tracks and pulling out/adding eq to make it sound like more than just two mics were used.

It's a pain, but at least it could isolate enough of the snare hits to be able to trigger a good sample.

Snare has it's own frequency. I would try find the middle between a cut low and cut high to divide the snare from the rest. Of course from a recorded where the snare is already good to hear and the rest as less as possible.
Just tried it quick and though it ain't super, it is possible.

Or this one..

I would consider just adding snare samples.

This would have my preference. New and original is alway's better. To choose between real or sample.

Back