Looking for moniters that i can live with for the rest of my life

talontsiawd

Looking for moniters that i can live with for years to come

Ok, i figured this is the most approriate forum, please move if necessary.

I am seriously concidering upgrading my moniters. I bought some krk rp5's to get me by because I am on a budget. I knew i would buy twice but in the 2 years i've had them, i don't regret it. But this time, i really want something i never feel i need to upgrade again....on a budget.

I don't have an exact budget, ideally it's around $600-800. I really don't want to spend more but i can stretch it. Right now, the main canidate is the Event TR8's. They seem to get great reviews and have lowend, which i need since i do hiphop. I really need to go listen to them, obviously, but they are on the top of the list.

So, my main question, on my budget, could i be satified with these for many years to come. I get frustrated with my KRK's because they just don't translate. I've "learned" them well enough to where i know where they lack, it's just a pain. I eq based on sound but also on alot of thought process as to where i know it's not going to sound right. I really don't like that. So, i want something new but I obviously have a budget.

To sort of sum it up, can my budget work? Am i going in the right direction? Etc.

Last edited:
$800 and the rest of your life.. ? Hmm. How old are you? :):D
I went through.. well, kind of similar. 'I want some great speakers, and be done with it.'
..it took a small loan but it is done. :)
http://www.4sptech.com/version2/index.html
But then there is the very practical reality that the monitors really do not have to be all that spectacular to do good work on.

I'm 25 lol. But with school and everything, i'm at the "brokest" point in my life really. I really could afford much more but it doesn't make sence to me. I don't even really have income right now, much less dispoable income. Reguardless, $1500 would be the most i would spend on speaker, reguardless of my fincial situation (well, my realistic fincial situation in the future, not winning the lotto, etc).

The "rest of my life" is an exageration. I guess i'm wanting oppinions on if these are good enough so i feel i don't "have" to upgrade. Right now, i feel that my moniters are holding me back. I want something that basically works and i only would "want" to upgrade if i ran into some money.

Also, i just found a really great deal on some tr8's that make me just want to buy them anyway. I could probably almost make my money back on my krk rp5's so i might just go for it reguardless.

That said, i'm still wondering if something in this price range will be a big enough jump over my krk's to last me for years and years. If i should go higher, that's fine, but only if it's going to make a HUGE difference.

5" two-ways have at the very least the potential to do very well in the top 75% or so of the range, as long as they are not pushed past their comfort zone. Going larger -in general gets either more extension or less distortion on the low end. But I don't know these so I'll back out of this one.
:)

Last edited:
the mackie 824's are selling @ MF for $479 nowadays...awhile ago they were the stupid deal of the day for $450, so you might be able to talk them down some

a lot of people think they have too much low end, but there seems to be a lot of people who use and like them for hip-hop

What is the volume of your control room? If it's not too big, check out the Blue Sky ProDesk system at $1200 or so. It's an acoustic suspension system with satellites and integral subwoofer and has high quality Vifa tweeters. You can get flat in room response (except for your room modes, of course) down to 20 Hz in a room under 2000 cu. ft. or so.

Cheers,

Otto

Whatever you buy - if you want to be happy for a while, IMO make sure you get a sub. I don't always turn it on, but sometimes it's critical to checking low end - regardless of the type of music.

I already have a sub. I just have a 10 in yamaha. I have it hooked up through my headphone amp so i can easily mute it. I rarely use it, just to check the lowend.

By volume of my room, my rough guess would be about 1800 cubic feet. It's hard to calculate because my room isn't rectangular and my ceiling is sloped. However $1200 is a bit out of my price range if i can avoid it.

I'll check out the mackies, the problem is i don't know if i'll be able to hear them before i buy. What's the next closest equivialant current model?

Why would a larger room volume change the speaker's frequency response?

Actually, in this case I'm talking about the capacity of the system to provide adequate level through the spec'd frequency range. That is affected by room volume and part of why there are different sized monitors and power amp capacities. Of course, the specific dimensions of a room also define the frequencies of the room modes, and larger rooms have modes that start lower (and become dense and well behaved lower, too). Also, one of the advantages of acoustic suspension systems is that the subwoofers fall off on the low end at 12 dB/octave, which happens to match typical low end "room gain" in small rooms below about 35 Hz.

Blue Sky offers smaller systems (EXO and MediaDesk). MediaDesk will still pretty much give you the same low end and even, quick response (typically an advantage of acoustic suspension systems over ported ones) in a smaller space, but both smaller units lack the very nice Vifa tweeter. The room volume issue is making sure you can play at appropriate volume without clipping or compression all the way through the frequency range. At 1800 cu. ft. you should be fine. MediaDesk is only $600 or so, IIRC.

Cheers,

Otto

Why would a larger room volume change the speaker's frequency response?

Just thought I would chime in... :)

As the physical dimensions of a room get smaller, such as comparing a dubbing stage (30,000 cubic feet) to a typical control room (3000 cubic feet), the acoustic conditions change as well. The biggest change occurs at low frequencies, which in a large space is an issue relating to low frequency reverberation time. When you move into a smaller studio, the main acoustic factor at low frequencies is room modes, or standing waves.

In an AES paper by Louis D. Fielder of Dolby Labs ["Subwoofer Performance for the Accurate Reproduction of Music," Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 36, June 1988], it was demonstrated that smaller sealed rooms, such as the typical music studio, exhibit a 12 dB per octave gain below 30 to 35 Hz (this typically occurs below the lowest room mode). This 'room gain' response perfectly matches the sealed box response of our subwoofers (-12dB per octave roll-off, below their cut-off frequency), allowing for incredible in-room low frequency extension, down to below 20 Hz in many cases. Compare this to a typical ported or passive radiator roll-off of 24 dB per octave - or greater, and you can see why we prefer this design for small room monitoring applications.

For more information, please follow this link:
http://www.abluesky.com/asp/news/newspage.asp?id=75

I hope this helps...

Cheers!

I'm 25 lol. But with school and everything, i'm at the "brokest" point in my life really. I really could afford much more but it doesn't make sence to me. I don't even really have income right now, much less dispoable income. Reguardless, $1500 would be the most i would spend on speaker, reguardless of my fincial situation (well, my realistic fincial situation in the future, not winning the lotto, etc).

The "rest of my life" is an exageration. I guess i'm wanting oppinions on if these are good enough so i feel i don't "have" to upgrade. Right now, i feel that my moniters are holding me back. I want something that basically works and i only would "want" to upgrade if i ran into some money.

Also, i just found a really great deal on some tr8's that make me just want to buy them anyway. I could probably almost make my money back on my krk rp5's so i might just go for it reguardless.

That said, i'm still wondering if something in this price range will be a big enough jump over my krk's to last me for years and years. If i should go higher, that's fine, but only if it's going to make a HUGE difference.

I am going to get brutalized here, but I suggest taking a look at some used NS-10's. I got my first set by accident when a guy told me he bought his, hated them, hardly used them and would sell for $200. This happened while I was saving for Event 20/20's. I grabbed them and have not looked back. In fact I recently purchased another pair.

I power them at on location with an old SS Harman Kardon amp and in my overdub room with an old Denon consumer amp. I am very happy with the results.

I am going to get brutalized here, but I suggest taking a look at some used NS-10's. I got my first set by accident when a guy told me he bought his, hated them, hardly used them and would sell for $200. This happened while I was saving for Event 20/20's. I grabbed them and have not looked back. In fact I recently purchased another pair.

I power them at on location with an old SS Harman Kardon amp and in my overdub room with an old Denon consumer amp. I am very happy with the results.

Well, with what i have heard, i don't think they are for me. Atleast for my main moniters. Since i really can't just easily go and listen to them, on top of so many mixed responses, i would only consider them as a second pair.

As for my room size, i sould have made it clear that i'm defininately moving by June. Who knows, i might actually be moving before the beginning of the year. I don't own a house so room size is not something i want to bass my purchace around. I always going to be looking into the biggest room i can afford to rent, and if i get a 1 bedroom at a place i've been looking at, i'd use the living room which is probably about double the size. I wanted to clear that up because I can only give an accurate size for the next 6 months or so tops.

i really want something i never feel i need to upgrade again....on a budget.

That's not going to happen.

Get the best you can afford for the budget you have available, but don't kid yourself about the quality of the monitor and never feeling the need to upgrade. $800 a pair is still very firmly in the budget price range, and you simply won't be able to buy a pair of flawless monitors for that money.

The Mackie HR824 is not a bad idea, for $479 each. But there are other possibilities out there.

Also take a look at the Adam Audio A7, Dynaudio BM 5A, or Tannoy Reveal 6D.

Basically, you are going to spend closer to $1,000 or so in order to get up to a quality level that will be more satisfying long term.

I personally wouldn't go for the NS-10's. They are getting stupid expensive used, and replacement parts will continue to skyrocket in cost. I've found these monitors fatiguing as well. There are much better options available these days.

Tannoy Reveal 6D.

On that note, what model are these? These i can pick up locally

010205010401010303200711050ed5b6700e4ebe0f1900cee6.jpg

Back