Lo-fi guitar/drum/vocal sound

kid_christ

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has already been asked/covered.

basically I wanted to know if anyone could help me get this overdriven/warm/punchy sound from this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6C7wpQ6Mdg

i know he uses a blue snowball usb mic into garage band, both of which i have just bought. however im not sure how to record to get this sound or how to mix to get this sound either.

ANY help would be massively appreciated.

Think distortion plugs. No way to tell what exactly was used, but it is that type of effect that is applied here.

That being said, much more depends on every aspect of the recording. How/where it was recorded. Room treatment, gear and performance are also variables. Do you plan on recording drums live yourself?

raising a limiter on certain parts could be nice too he seems to get his cymbals kicking

Hey kid,

It looks like they've processed the sound with generous amounts of saturation.

Here's a list of free saturation plugins, so you can try them by yourself to see which one works better for you.

Don't ask me why, but I think it sounds like they're using FabFilter's Saturn in that recording, however, you can certainly achieve the same effect with free plugins.

Cheers,

Raf.

thanks for all the replies guys, seems like saturation plugins are the way to go. i had been using a massey tapehead but also only recently converted to the newest garageband so im still getting used to that.

one last question i have is about the vocal sound. if you guys have ever listened to ty segall (who records on a reel to reel) i notice that theres a specific type of reverb that these garage bands can get, its like a distorted spring reverby kind of sound, much like whats going on on this bass drum of death track. however, every reverb plugin i try, the rerverb is always very 'hi-fi' for want of a better word. it doesnt sound 'garagey' it sounds big and wide.

thanks for the help already but any more help getting me closer to this sound would be HUGELY appreciated. ive literally been after this sound for 2 years now and cant quite nail it.

in relation to that last post: would singing through my ac15 with some reverb and disortion get that effect? i dont want to try this until im completely positive it will (dont want to blow speakers etc.)

thanks again

Back