Listen to the data lost when compressing

I can't tell from the article whether or not this is just the removed information as it would have been "stripped" from the original, or is this sampled and arranged by the guy? Either way, it's creepy as hell.

The article is heavy on 'art' and low on factual detail. If you take a CD, grab it into your DAW at 44.1, 16 bit and then make it mono, you can then convert it to a different format, and merge the two. If you invert one, then the common elements cancel, at least partially and you get all sorts of weird and wonderful sounds. If you make tiny shifts in time, then the phase sounds get more or less. I'm not convinced that what you are hearing is really the 'lost' data at all, just artefacts of the nulling process. you can get odd stuff too if you take a track compress it heavily and then do the same trick - the result could be described as being what the compressor 'removed' - like "Recover your missing Dynamics".

pseudo-science based on analysing a result without knowing exactly what happened.

EDIT TO ADD
Try it with 80's synth heavy stuff - very interesting.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool!

Yeah, my first impulse on how to reproduce the effect would be:
1. rip wav
2. convert wav to mp3.
3. load both files into DAW
4. invert 1

you're probably doubling the difference (or otherwise changing it based on your daw), but it'd be close. To do it accurately, you'd probably have to build some kind of plugin that converts mp3 back to wav and then subtracts the converted file from the original.

Now the really cool thing would be to apply the I am Sitting in a Room process!

Back