Line/Instrument

Well DON'T! I am a one eyed, meds ridden 72yr old and easily confused!

All cool now I trust?

Dave.

Yeah, it's good. I mean, I know what's NOT the problem. Still not satisfied with the mix, but it must be another issue. I'll get to it. Thanks man

AHA!!!

K i have some pointed questions and this seems the PERFECT place to post them;

I also have a Gen1 2i2, which Love... with a 2nd gen ASIO driver. (May NOT work
for everyone)

I use straight guitars, directly into the Instrument Jack (sw) and have had trouble since I have
some "hotter" pickups installed int he tail position of all my axes... But that's the correct (Inst)
switching for a direct guitar->2i2 connection; I get impedance matching and Headroom, but the
gain control on the 2i2 (I use a 2nd Gen ASIO driver from Scarlett with it, and it HAS HELPED.
This was at Focusrites suggestion). NOT a Question just BG info... now;

I also play a Korg N5 through the 2i2, and usually in stereo mode...
I ASSUMED this should also be switched to Inst, since no preamp is involved BEFORE the
interface, and it's meant to be amplified by external amp or PA. ASSUME... Right or wrong?

I ALSO very OFTEN use my "soundmaker" with my guitars; a Boss ME 30, which, I ASSUME,
AGAIN, should also be Inst... since the pedal is a multi-effects deal, NOT amplified, and
again, MEANT to be plugged into a Preamp for processing... Is THAT right?

NOW... (just when you couldn't wait for another question!) SO I ASSUME AGAIN, that if
I were to run a typical ol's'cool Mic (Sure like every cheap live singer used when he was
young) that that IS NOT a "Line" switching input providing I don't use a Mic preprocessor
or anything that would add INPUT Volts/ma into the 2i2 processor on the front end???

Here again, I THOUGHT I knew what the hell I was doing; Certified Elec. Tech, Local
stage and bar band legend for 45+ years, play anything and everything, and one LITTLE
hobby like this "recording" deal and I'm sure I don't know ANYTHING anymore!

Reason for the questions;
I sometimes have a hard time adjusting the input gain on the 2i2 to get a decent recordiing
level... it's either too "thin" (low gain) and I have to bump the clip volume up, or I'm
clipping (yellow/red) on hard pickup strikes... I'd assumed this might be related to the hot
pickups, but not sure...

You guys should just post all my stuff to all the newbie sections... minefields!
MY specialty!

Let's clear up one thing very quickly, you only need the "Instrument" input of the 2i2 for PASSIVE guitars. Things like keyboards which come out at a lowish source impedance* need the input switched to 'Line' . Why?

Because the guitar works best into a very high impedance(aka 'Z'), around 1,000,000 Ohms to preserve a decent level but mostly to keep a good "tone". Nothing else you plug in needs such a high Z indeed, most guitar pedals have a low enough source Z that they can drive the Line input (but not those stupid "True Bypass" jobs that will sound crap when "off") .

Now, the 2i2 does indeed have poor "headroom" (Gen ll is better I understand?) and there are two solutions.
1) Back off the wick on the guitar! Ok, yes, I know a lot of guitarists don't like doing this as it often leads to "tone suck" or a loss of treble.
2) Make an attenuator to go between guitar and 2i2.

For the latter you need two resistors, 820k and 390k two jacks, a tin and a solder iron. The resistor combination will give about 12dB of loss (assuming the 2i2 has a 1meg input Z) but preserves about a 1meg load on the guitar. I can do you a drawing if required.

*Unhelpfully, Korg give neither signal level nor source Z for the jack outs on that synth but I think we can assume they will be fairly low, <or=1k and at about -10dBV, about 0.3V, 300mV? That will do nicely.

Anything else, just shout.

Dave.

LINE vs. Instrument on a Focusrite 2i2

I'm a little LATE with this post but for those that follow...

I TOO use a Focusrite 2i2 and the LINE/INST switch as I've found it to act,
does both of the things mentioned above;
1. The volume level and tonal qualities change when you flip that switch.
You can tell because if you're using ANY KIND of pre-amplification in the
Instrument position you're gonna have a tough time getting a green light
(input level) without going yellow and RED... (clipping) It's almost impossible.
I got really "twangy" sound out of guitar tracks I recorded using a BOSS
ME 30 pedal (considerably a "pre-amp" on the instrument position. BAD...

2. The Impedance. Without the Electronic tech lesson, this is basically an
INPUT GAIN issue; Plug a guitar directly into the 2i2 on "Instrument" and
your 2i2 becomes the preamp, boosting the tiny voltage (relatively) that
is created by the pickup ALONE to the level that a good recording is possible.
I use this with plugin AMP simulators in Live9, and it's fantastic, and lots
of gain adjustment without effecting tonal quality or clipping.

NOW you have to think; What's a preamp? What instruments have them?
While it may not be an actual preamp, ANY PEDAL usually boosts input,
and so impedance matching requires the "LINE" setting. Mic preamps?
the same, while without using a mic preamp I would use the Instrument
setting.

My Korg N5? Pre-amped >LINE
Anything with a "line out" requires "LINE" ... it's already been processed and boosted.
I have a seven string guitar with a "crunchLab" aftermarket pickup, and it produces
so much output voltage I even use LINE with THAT straight, just because I can add
gain without effecting the massively wider tonal spectrum, but that is an exception.

Here's a graphic I made up (IF I can post graphics, we'll see) that might help. Save it!
(DENIED!!!)
Ooops! well, ok, I can't post jpeg's here (newb?) and the URL for the graphic I have
posted on facebook returns an error... Sorry!

With 33 posts under your belt you should be able to attaché a jpeg. Unless of course things have gone tits up again?

Dave.

And thank you ECC83!!!

I would have done what you suggested (made the input matching device) but I found a way around these issues as posted above.

"You gotta know where all the plugs go!"
--Jimmy Savage, sound man extraordinaire

Here's a graphic I made up (IF I can post graphics, we'll see) that might help. Save it!
(DENIED!!!)
Ooops! well, ok, I can't post jpeg's here (newb?) and the URL for the graphic I have
posted on facebook returns an error... Sorry!

PM me and I will give you my email. I can try from here to see what is up with the posting of jpegs..

With 33 posts under your belt you should be able to attaché a jpeg. Unless of course things have gone tits up again?

Dave.

Yeah apparently so... I've checked and updated my pulgins, helpy helpers etc,
I'm always up to date...

When I hit the "Insert pic" button I get the small dialog box asking for the URL.
The only place it is NOW (I do have other server space) is on fb...
Plugg in in the entire URL to the graphics direct server call errors.
(sorry I should have copied that error text)
I go to the basic uploader, trace the path to the graphic on my 'puter,
and once I've entered it, the [UPLOAD] button disappears! lmao!
Hitting [enter] of course is useless...

so I back out and pout! Any Idea?

So wait, I have had issues linking from a FB page pic.

Best to download that pic to your desktop and attach to HR from that.

INPUTS.jpg

There we go!
Posted it on my website and used the "URL" option...
I wouldn't want to do this with everything though,
I have to find this bug!

Last edited:
So wait, I have had issues linking from a FB page pic.
Best to download that pic to your desktop and attach to HR from that.

I already have it on my 'puter (I keep everything I produce) so I did try the basic
uploader from my disc... NO GO. The "upload" button disappears as soon as I put
the path into it! Strange as Angels...

"I wouldn't want to do this with everything though,"

Why not? I have shortcuts on my desktop, 'Screenshots', 'Test Sounds', 'pdfs' where the bulk files are stashed on the hard drive. Anything I download that I might want to keep gets moved into the appropriate shortcut and hence to HDD.

See, I am SUCH a PC numpty that when I find something that works I stick with it!

Dave.

I also can't edit my profile elements (and I've tried, and TRIED!)
I can see preferences, but and Icon file? edit my signature? do
anything LIKE that and I can't access the sub-categorys???

I wonder if it is a browser issue.

What browser are you using? It could be a new issue. Admin fixed a bunch of issues recently but that does not mean things haven't changed...

See? I am SUCH a numpty I have NO idea what you are on about!

Dave.

Back