KRK Rokit 6 or 8?

kleraudio

Hey there guys, so Im ready to buy some good monitors and get rid of these 5 dollar dell speakers!!

My question is, how big a difference is the KRK Rokit 6 from the 8??

Is the low end that much prominent on the 8?

What would you buy for a basic Pro Tools home studio (Mbox 2), that I plan on expanding in the coming years?

Will I end up with the 8's eventually, or can I seriously mix with the 6" for years to come?

I plan on going to the store and hearing them for myself, just thought I'd get some advice here first.

Thanks!

Jim

Nothin huh?

ive looked at old posts, and have read some stuff, but just wanting a fresh set of advice...

Thanks!

What sort of music will you be tracking and mixing? Larger woofers are capable of reproducing lower frequencies, but you may not need this bass extension for your music. Your ultimate choice could also depend on what sort of room you're set up in, and where the monitors will be placed.

You might find some helpful information on choosing monitors here: http://www.recordingmonitors.com/

I hope this helps,
Damian

I tested the Rockit 5, 6, and 8's in one sitting. The 5's didn't have neough oomph, and the 8's were too muddy. I felt the 6's sounded the best, so I went with them.

Front End Audio - thanks for the link, VERY good stuff in there! I dont think I'll need too much bass extension at all actually, Im doing mostly if not all indie type stuff, rock, etc..... But I obviously still need low end and a nice amount of it.....

I dunno, on paper im leaning towards the 6's... Good size for my small room (using the second br in my apt) I'll have to go take a listen later today to decide for sure....

Sea- thanks for the input there, I will definitely keep that in mind when I go listen to them, even though I'm already leaning towards KRK monitors, and the 6's to be exact....

I dont know why Im zeroed in on KRK, without hearing anything yet, but its just everywhere I look on the net, talking to my friends, etc, they all say go with the Rockit's or the VXT by KRK.....

Didnt think it would be so hard to pick monitors! Im just overanalyzing anyways, I always do!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Jim

Personally, I will never buy KRK again. I bought a set of Rokit 8's around two years ago. Around 9 months I had one speaker start making crackling noises, but only at certain freqs (whatever freq the D string on a bass is). I contacted KRK, which took a while, and they were moving offices so had me send it to some shop in California.

I had no communication from them whatsoever and the only reason I knew the speaker made it to them was because of the tracking number. Around 3 weeks later the speaker showed back up and was a bit scratched up. Hooked it back up and the crackling was worse and now affected by even more freqs.

So I called KRK again and by this time they were settled in and I could send it to them. Same thing with no communication, but at least they paid for shipping this time. Another 3 weeks later and they just replaced the speaker.

Zoom ahead around another 9 months and the speaker they replaced started doing the same thing as it's predecessor. Unfortunately, they did not extend the warranty when they replaced it originally so I have a speaker that crackles at certain freqs.

Saving my pennies for something from Dyn or Adams. Just my experience, results may very...

My first monitors were KRK Rockit 5's. I thought they were great, and I still have them; they're connected to my home stereo.

Then I found a helluva deal on a pair of used KRK V8's (the original ones). As expected, they have a rounder, fuller bass response, but even with the 8's, I found I eventually needed to buy a subwoofer, which may be all that I was missing from the 5's. However, overall I think the V8's are a lot nicer than the Rockits. However, I personally the the original V Series is better than the V-2 Series. Somewhere down the line they cut costs and the V-2 sell for less than the original V's did. The subwoofer I purchased is the KRK 10.

What's the moral of my story? Even with the larger speakers, I think you'll need a subwoofer to round out the mix. You may want to go with the smaller, cheaper Rockit 6's if that means you can also get a subwoofer to pair with it.

All the best,
-MD

Last edited:
So I went to Sam Ash today to listen to some monitors....

Unfortunately they didnt have the KRK Rokit 8's available...

I listened to some other monitors, they were pretty good but pricey....., and the stuff in the same price range as the rokit 6's didnt sound so great.

Found the Rokit 6's over at another listening station, popped in my cd and I really really liked them.

They have pretty good bass, I wasnt able to compare them to the 8's but I think I'll be happy with them as they fit right inside my budget. I didnt bother listening to the 5's because I really liked the 6's....

I think the 8's would be too big for my room so I think Im decided on the 6's!

Now to find a good deal on them, Sam Ash, though the guys were VERY helpful, want 200 a speaker..... I can prob get em cheaper online somewhere.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Jim

Cool :)

I have the RP6G2's too. I think you'll be pretty happy with them. I got mine for $100 off. Open-box items at the local Best Buy store. Apparently, someone took them out of the box to look at them (before they had them on display) and never used them!

The low-end is really tight...and I ain't talkin' slang. :D

Hey d.bop, the 6's did sound really tight actually, I was happy with them.

I just bought a pair on ebay for 300 bucks, brand new, and shipped!

So Im excited to get these, and at a great price!

Whats the verdict on putting those Auralex MoPAD's underneath the monitors?

Good idea?

Hey d.bop, the 6's did sound really tight actually, I was happy with them.

I just bought a pair on ebay for 300 bucks, brand new, and shipped!

So Im excited to get these, and at a great price!

Whats the verdict on putting those Auralex MoPAD's underneath the monitors?

Good idea?

eBay is great :D

As far as mopads go, I have no idea. I made my speaker stands out of concrete blocks. (Covered the concrete with a pillow case to get rid of the "under construction" feel. :cool:)

I've heard the mopads are alright though.

I got the Mopads free with mine... I'm highly sceptical that they help the sound in any of the ways they claim, but they lift and angle the monitors just about right for my desk. If the Mopads weren't there I would have a stack of books instead, but the Mopads look a lot better to I'm happy with them :p

I think the 8's would be too big for my room so I think Im decided on the 6's!

There's really no correlation between the size of speakers that you want/need and the size of your room (other than whether the speakers physically fit through the door and into your studio :D). You want/need a set of speakers capable of accurately reproducing the full freq. range music that you are working on. If you were just doing like an acoustic guitar and a voice or just a piano or something with sparse mix and not alot of low end, I'd say you can get away with a smaller speaker (that wont reproduce the low freq. as faithfully). Since you're doing drums and you'll probably have some bass guitar to mix in and you'll have relatively dense mixes (lots of instruments competing for space in the same frequencies), you'll want to be able to be more critical of the low end.

In any case, treat your room (not with foam), and you'll probably be fine. :)

I've had the Rokit 6's for about a year now.

No problems. Most people I speak to have good things to say about them.
There's no problem with the amount of bass response - and as I've just discovered and you probably know - this is as much to do with the room response as the speakers.

FM

Back