Kick Hi-hat Interference

10bd01

Hi!

I'm new here and new to mixing and have probably what is a beginners question. I've created a beat with UVI Beatbox Anthology and was getting some sort of interference pattern between the kick and the hi-hat. I generated the audio file to share. What you hear here is two measures of the hat, two of the kick, two of them together, and then the hat again. What I'm concerned with is the second note on the hat. It's a nice clear hiss (besides a little flutter in the attack) in the first two bars and then when the kick comes in it's like it gets "throttled". I would far prefer the clear hiss and the clear kick to this type of sonic "interference".

Hi-hat-sputtering-on-second-note-when-kick-enters-link

At first I thought it was the plugin and so separated the kick and hat into different tracks and it did the same thing. I thought perhaps this was a mixing problem and was playing around with the high and low shelf they give in the plugin. I had some positive results, but I was like "is this usually what happens?" Because I'm new at this I'm having trouble understanding if this is just the way things are and this is a common "mixing" problem that needs a solution, or if I'm completely missing something else all together and it's not a common mixing problem but like some sort of tech malfunction.

I played around with the high and low shelf ALOT and didn't quite settle into any results that I found appealing. Everytime I got the clear hiss back, the kick was too soft for my taste, and every time I brought the kick to where I wanted it, the hat started sputtering and it sounded terrible. I also took out Fabfilter's Pro-Q2 and played around with some bells, etc. And I was like "so is this like newbie mixing hell or something, or am I completely on the wrong track?" So I thought I would stop by, say Hi! (this is my first post here), and see if maybe I was on the right or wrong track with thinking this was a mixing problem before proceeding down a dead end.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for the community!

Last edited by a moderator:
**Nevermind. I missed the part about it being electronic drums.

Last edited:
Back