Just had to share this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is pretty kickass, my 10"s only do half that and they weren't exactly cheap . . . :(

I should splurge for the SEAS Excel 10"s, those are 14mm! If only I had $700 . . . resonance is 20Hz! I must have them . . . just need to find somebody in a nursing home who will name me as beneficiary of their life insurance policy . . .
Sure you don't mean the Seas L26ROY 10"? It's got great travel, but the cone is pretty heavy, and it need 87 liters of cabinet volume.

Just wait a bit; I'm about to turn 73. :D

Last edited:
Funny, in the 60's, when I designed the first JBL speakers made for musical instruments (the JBL "F" series)

If the smartasses in this thread knew nothing more about Harvey, this alone should be enough to get them to STFU and hang their heads in shame.

Thanks for the post, Harvey. And in particular, I appreciate your delving into some of the technical details, which I found interesting and informative.

I was intrigued by the 'tweeters on the inside' idea.

It has suddenly made clear a weird phenomenum I'd been experiencing at home.

I have a pair of nearfield monitors which stand vertically on their stands. I built the speaker stands so that tweeters were at ear level . . . so everything should be fine.

But . . . I have found myself getting into the habit of standing up while listening to playbacks . . . it seemed to give a different perspective and a clearer definition of the stereo image.

I had thought that this might be just a personal idiosyncracy, and that it was only the difference in position that was giving a different perspective (i.e. it was a psycho-acoustic effect).

However, it seems to me now that there may be a physical explanation for it.

Now I'm wondering whether it's worth rebuild the monitor stands so that the tweeters are below ear level (which would push the woofers further away).

p.s. you gotta give credit for Slowrider and his ability to stir things up so remarkably without providing any substance at all. That's quite a neat trick!

We were having an interesting thread about psychoacoustics and speaker/cabinet design and now we're having an argument about pricing??

Please.

I'm also guessing from all the other mods here that I should check my email for post reports. Unless it's a coincidence. :confused:

Sure you don't mean the Seas L26ROY 10"? It's got great travel, but the cone is pretty heavy, and it need 87 liters of cabinet volume.

Ah . . . hold on a minute, my model is discontinued now, lemme check . . .

OK, no I meant the W26FX-001, that is much more expensive!

I have the discontinued P25REX, which is much lighter (34g). VAS is still huge, but I built 70L sealed boxes! The advantage of not using nearfields . . . P25REX was designed to work up higher, which for some reason was important to me at the time. I already had some nice passive two-way crossovers from my old 6" nearfield-style monitors I was ditching, and paired with their 27TAFC/G tweeters (I must have metal dome, can't stand anything else except I keep wanting to try ribbons) I think it's a really nice two-way combo. But sometimes I still want three-way.

All of their current 10"s would have to be three-way, no way they would work in my two-way boxes.

Probably someday I will add mids and ribbon tweeters and make the whole arrangement switchable, or something. I have a sub I don't really use (with the same woofer), that I might swap out for something with better low end extension. That box is huuuge, like 130L (it replaced a former bar refrigerator :) ), so I can do anything really (oddly the big vented box does almost no better than the 70L sealed). But I think the P25REX will stay in the mains with or without adding mids.

I view my approach as NASCAR vs. your Formula 1 . . . although I don't really like NASCAR, I do live in NC . . . :confused:

We were having an interesting thread about psychoacoustics and speaker/cabinet design and now we're having an argument about pricing??

Please.

I'm also guessing from all the other mods here that I should check my email for post reports. Unless it's a coincidence. :confused:

I shut down my email account when I resigned as mod . . . and then Dragon shows up! Weird coincidence eh?

See, the problem with being a mod is all you can do is ban people, delete posts, threads, and edit posts. What I wanted was the power to edit avatars and profiles :D

You should start your own forum.

It's the interwebs equivalent of designing your own studio monitors ............ which brings us nicely back to the topic in hand. :p

I'm sorry folks, but this thread has degenerated way past my original intent. I thought Trident did a great job on the HG3 web page, and it showed people what I've been doing for the last couple of years. I was gonna get into the subject of "Group Delay", ported versus sealed systems, and a lot more esoteric stuff, but I'll let Slowrider do that in another thread.

I'll let Slowrider have the last word and then I'll figure out how to close this thread.

i hate, hate , hate this shit about you..1 person acts an ass amongst dozens of people who generally wanna hear about this stuff, and you wanna stomp your feet and threaten to take your ball and go home..

just ignore the dude...

i hate, hate , hate this shit about you..1 person acts an ass amongst dozens of people who generally wanna hear about this stuff, and you wanna stomp your feet and threaten to take your ball and go home..

just ignore the dude...

I agree with Gidge. :eek:

I'll let Slowrider have the last word and then I'll figure out how to close this thread.

Instead figuring out how to close the thread, just figure out how to ignore slowrider instead.

You should start your own forum.

It's the interwebs equivalent of designing your own studio monitors ............ which brings us nicely back to the topic in hand. :p

I had a forum on my site for a while, until I realized that I liked my customers a lot better if I never had to talk to them. We communicate only through automated Paypal messages :cool:

just ignore the dude...
Sorry, Gidge, and Chili, but at 73, I don't need the kinda shit I get from some people in this forum. It's pretty hard not to take it personally, not when you put two fuckin' years of your life into designing something really special, and then somebody calls it all bullshit.

I've paid my dues, many times over, in this industry, and on this forum. Nowhere else in the world do I get as much shit as I do here. And for what? Trying to help people understand how stuff works? Fuck that. Slowrider pretty much hangs out in the Cave, dispensing his wisdom there, and that's fine with me.

But, when he comes here and basically calls me an asshole that's trying to rip people off, yeah, I get upset. It's hard for me to "ignore the dude" when he keeps getting in my face.

Bottom line: I'm an old guy. Old guys don't like that kinda stuff.

Sorry, Gidge, and Chili, but at 73, I don't need the kinda shit I get from some people in this forum. It's pretty hard not to take it personally, not when you put two fuckin' years of your life into designing something really special, and then somebody calls it all bullshit.

I've paid my dues, many times over, in this industry, and on this forum. Nowhere else in the world do I get as much shit as I do here. And for what? Trying to help people understand how stuff works? Fuck that. Slowrider pretty much hangs out in the Cave, dispensing his wisdom there, and that's fine with me.

But, when he comes here and basically calls me an asshole that's trying to rip people off, yeah, I get upset. It's hard for me to "ignore the dude" when he keeps getting in my face.

Bottom line: I'm an old guy. Old guys don't like that kinda stuff.

thats the internet baby..not everyone is gonna agree with everything you write, and there is always gonna be at least one asshole in the bunch...

you need to get over yourself..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back