Just had to share this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Harvey...with a typical pair of 2-way NF monitors...
...would you prefer to use them in their vertical "default" position or would you automatically turn them on their side with the tweets inside?

I'll have to try the inside/outside comparison...though at the moment, I don't have the space to do it, as I have a second pair of NF monitors next to my primaries.

Sorry dude, I've played and worked studio with some big names too, but I'm not a 'Name Dropper'.

I do things on my own merit.

And I know about manufacturing costs as a mechanical engineer/ machinist/millwright/tool and die man.

Rebuild guitars and speaker cabinets, too. And guess what?

There is absolutely NO justification for the ridiculous prices you just quoted.

Do you know what the old Classic musicians would say about that price?

Bullshit.

And, that's the way it is.

Sorry dude, I've played and worked studio with some big names too, but I'm not a 'Name Dropper'.

I do things on my own merit.

And I know about manufacturing costs as a mechanical engineer/ machinist/millwright/tool and die man.

Rebuild guitars and speaker cabinets, too. And guess what?

There is absolutely NO justification for the ridiculous prices you just quoted.

Do you know what the old Classic musicians would say about that price?

Bullshit.

And, that's the way it is.
Then you probably think $15,000 is way outta line for a Duntech speaker, or the Nova Evolution II - and that's each!!

Guess what? I had a lot of "old Classic musicians" come by the booth at AES, and none of them thought the price was out of line after they heard them.

I spent two years on the design of this speaker. I guess I shoulda just called you to get them cheaper and quicker.

So Harvey...with a typical pair of 2-way NF monitors...
...would you prefer to use them in their vertical "default" position or would you automatically turn them on their side with the tweets inside?

I'll have to try the inside/outside comparison...though at the moment, I don't have the space to do it, as I have a second pair of NF monitors next to my primaries.
If they're two-ways, I usually like them on their side with the tweeters inside, but it doesn't really make much difference with most two-ways because of the higher crossover point - a whole other problem for me.

Sure, a lot of people have more money than brains, that we agree on.

If you can beat them at half the price, why not do that?

I built my own monitors too (only two-way, been thinking about modding them to three but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet). I avoid edge diffraction with soffit mounting.

Trick is you can't sell very many monitors that are solely designed for soffit mounting, because we home studio types are lazy bastards. So we'd rather spend $5K on nearfields rather than swingin' some hammers. The hammers make the speaker design quite a lot easier though . . .

But if you DIY, you only suffer the cost of parts + the (lack of) value for your time. Try to make money at it, and then provide markup to dealers, and there you go. I easily have $2K in parts of my monitoring system, that would probably exceed $5K retail.

Thus, Harvey crams a lot of technology into a box that compensates properly for the shortcomings of the class of device. I rate that as clever.

I just call Bullshit if I see it.

I'm not quite sure what it is you're calling BS....the price or the design concept...or both?

AFA price...no one wants to pay the high prices on a lot of shit that use to cost way less not too long ago...but overall, it is what it is, and I don't think you can find something both cheap and Hi-Q.

There certainly are sonic differences in $400 dollar monitors and $4000 dollar monitors, and then purchase decisions all seem to come down to having the clams or not.

I'm curious...do you find $3000 mic pres and $2000 mics also BS?
What about $2000 P-to-P boutique hand-made amps VS. $200 Chinese assembly line offerings?

What do you feel would be comparable as a great monitor…and yet costing only a fraction of the HG3 and similar stuff?
I would love to hear it...that way I can go get me a pair. ;)

I'm not quite sure what it is you're calling BS....the price or the design concept...or both?

AFA price...no one wants to pay the high prices on a lot of shit that use to cost way less not too long ago...but overall, it is what it is, and I don't think you can find something both cheap and Hi-Q.

There certainly are sonic differences in $400 dollar monitors and $4000 dollar monitors, and then purchase decisions all seem to come down to having the clams or not.

I'm curious...do you find $3000 mic pres and $2000 mics also BS?
What about $2000 P-to-P boutique hand-made amps VS. $200 Chinese assembly line offerings?

What do you feel would be comparable as a great monitor…and yet costing only a fraction of the HG3 and similar stuff?
I would love to hear it...that way I can go get me a pair. ;)
Or let's talk about 25 Grand Les Pauls.

I'm sorry folks, but this thread has degenerated way past my original intent. I thought Trident did a great job on the HG3 web page, and it showed people what I've been doing for the last couple of years. I was gonna get into the subject of "Group Delay", ported versus sealed systems, and a lot more esoteric stuff, but I'll let Slowrider do that in another thread.

I'll let Slowrider have the last word and then I'll figure out how to close this thread.

Harvey!

Congrats for the great job and all the good comments and impressions by everybody.

Just a question (I didn´t saw in the specifications and - sorry, If you talked about in the video, my english probably isn´t good enough...):

woofer is 10"?

Ciro

Harvey!

Congrats for the great job and all the good comments and impressions by everybody.

Just a question (I didn´t saw in the specifications and - sorry, If you talked about in the video, my english probably isn´t good enough...):

woofer is 10"?

Ciro
No, it's an 8" subwoofer. A 10" speaker would have been too big for this system and would have required a larger cabinet. This subwoofer has an xMax (linear cone travel) of over 1/2" and works perfectly in this small cabinet.

Or let's talk about 25 Grand Les Pauls.

Yeah...that too, though I will say that some things have real high prices more for their history or vintage value/collectability.

I think for a brand new design and first time offering...there is often a higher price, and then some things will drop in price later on. Though some may actually go up in price as the demand increases.

Anyway...I don't see $4000 as absurd for high-edn monitors...I just can't afford them at this time! :D

Yeah...that too, though I will say that some things have real high prices more for their history or vintage value/collectability.

I think for a brand new design and first time offering...there is often a higher price, and then some things will drop in price later on. Though some may actually go up in price as the demand increases.

Anyway...I don't see $4000 as absurd for high-end monitors...I just can't afford them at this time! :D
Neither can I. I can't even afford to go to the NAMM show this year to show them off, so I'll leave it to Trident to do that. Being broke sucks. :(

No, it's an 8" subwoofer. A 10" speaker would have been too big for this system and would have required a larger cabinet. This subwoofer has an xMax (linear cone travel) of over 1/2" and works perfectly in this small cabinet.

That is pretty kickass, my 10"s only do half that and they weren't exactly cheap . . . :(

I should splurge for the SEAS Excel 10"s, those are 14mm! If only I had $700 . . . resonance is 20Hz! I must have them . . . just need to find somebody in a nursing home who will name me as beneficiary of their life insurance policy . . .

Harvey just forgot the days when good music didn't cost an arm and a leg to produce.:cool:

I dunno...are you talking about the golden days of million dollar recording sessions to put out an album? :D

Look...you may(?) have some points, but you're not doing a great job of presenting them.
If you're going to slam someone's perspective...can you do with more detail instead of just saying, "Bullshit."...? :rolleyes:

I like hearing opposing views...but you gotta put up more than that to be taken positively/seriously.

Harvey just forgot the days when good music didn't cost an arm and a leg to produce.:cool:
Funny, in the 60's, when I designed the first JBL speakers made for musical instruments (the JBL "F" series), they were high priced too, compared to what was available. People didn't seem to mind paying a lot more for them back then.

I guess they were suckers, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back