The Internet : great place to learn.. Or get confused and doubt yourself

It's like I'll watch a mixing tutorial on YouTube and be like 'yeah! I understand this, what a great technique' then I'll watch the next one and it'll be contradicting the previous one and I'm like 'crap, what the hell am I doing?' ... For example, one video was talking about using hi pass filters to carve out frequencies so everything sits better in your mix. Awesome. The next one was about how using hi pass filters change the phase of your signal and can mess everything up. The next one was about how carving frequency, surgical eq, etc is a b. S. And you can achieve a balanced mix just by recording a clean signal, getting good gain staging, panning and some light, broad eq and compression moves. It can get confusing. No question here, really. Just venting.

...you can achieve a balanced mix just by recording a clean signal, getting good gain staging, panning and some light, broad eq and compression moves.

I would go with option C...it will work more times than not.

That's because mixing isn't an act that can be perfected; it's an art that people work on and develop their skillset. Everyone is at a different stage and philosophies regarding it are widespread. There's not one way to do anything.

It kind of makes me wonder what engineers and producers mixed such great albums before all these hack and tricks were discovered....

There are a lot of people on the net big noting themselves, all this technical talk about phase, shifts, etc, etc, I hear it in the live world too. You know what 4140 is right, how did the producers and engineers do before all this analysing? Well, they listened to what sounded good and used that.

Alan.

Part of it is context. Great room, great musicians, experienced recordist/producers in an isolated CR room, Yeah, most everything (more likely) is sorted out -i.e. 'correct, before record is pushed.
For example -to some degree and there's going to be a slew of variables here, but in a best case example, one might record so 'High Pass filtering fixes are not needed in the mix?
Here, band comes in, wants to do everything live' and quick, I'm sitting 10' from a guitar amp or two, sorry we might be doing more than a bit of eq. :>)
So.. all eq/filtering uses/causes phase shift. So, can we try to avoid the 'need to use a shit load of it... Shure.
And we bone up on when or why it might be audible (as in giving unexpected or undesirable side effects), try to collect it in our 'tool box.

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about phase. It gets a lot of undeserved blame. Eq if necessary. Track as well as possible to minimize it.

Get it right (or as close to as you can) at the source.......this means getting the instrument, amp, mic, room acoustics AND position in the room the best you can. Preferably track without EQ (leave it flat), reverb, etc., you should be able play with those later. However, if a guitar needs distortion, get it sounding "right" and then wind back the distortion a reasonable amount for recording.

There's so much good advice here BUT you've got to be prepared to go waaaayyyyyyyy back more than 10 or 12 years ago when there were some huge contributions regarding recording. Search for posts by sjoko, bluebear, Harvey Gerst amongst others.

it's an art

Yep. All the rules you'll ever encounter are just guidelines for how to mimic existing techniques and works.

Telling people to HPF (or not) is equivalent to telling every painter to use blue backgrounds to offset people's faces. It can work; there's some distinct science behind it; but it's not an absolute rule.

To quote Barney Fife....."We've got one rule here at The Rock, Obey All Rules."

I have found one absolute over my many years of mixing.....The better recorded the tracks are, the less diving into any bag of tricks the mixer has to do.

About so-called 'modern' mix tricks.....These have been around in principle for way more years than digital has been the norm.

The internet information isn't always the truth.
You can perfectly build your truth with it. ;)

If you at least want truth from the internet then at least look at the proven professionals. And then still do it your way.

This reaction can easily also not be the/your truth. :D

I have found one absolute over my many years of mixing.....The better recorded the tracks are, the less diving into any bag of tricks the mixer has to do.

That's the gospel truth right there. I've been working on some stems that a friend if mine did, been trying to fix them for weeks just to make them usable. He recorded them way to hot, bleed from the headphones, printed with reverb.... Sigh.... Yeah, if the original signal is good, mixing should be a piece if cake

That's the gospel truth right there. I've been working on some stems that a friend if mine did, been trying to fix them for weeks just to make them usable. He recorded them way to hot, bleed from the headphones, printed with reverb.... Sigh.... Yeah, if the original signal is good, mixing should be a piece if cake

No man! Those were 'character', intentional! not 'mistakes!
He meant 'Gather shoes together'.
Not 'cast shoes asunder !

Life of Brian Script - Scene 18: The Holy Gourd of Jerusalem
grins...

the thing you want to do,
is listen to and take advice from mixers you either know,
who's material is posted for scrutiny and shows their capabilities,
or who can give actual demonstrations of their opinions.

Back