Interesting technique for saving a weak stereo drum track

therealside

So, I went on the fly and recorded a live stereo drum track and a mono kick track into my old Roland VS-880. Basically the kick was the only isolated track and the stereo track was 4 mics (Oktava on snare, AT small condenser on Fl Tom, and 2 matching ohds) into an 8 channel mixer stereo out into 880. Naturally, this gave me little isolation for a kick/snare sound, but I asked a couple engineer friends for some tips.

One had me copy the snare track and gate the snare (quick release to keep hats out and duck under original signal by about 4db less), since it was the loudest event. The other took my flabby, poorly compressed (I know, for shame) kick track and tripled it. He gated each one and eq'ed for the kick/punch/thump sounds into a kick bus with some of Cubase's Multiband compression and then brought it all together where I could decide the input level and bring the sharpness of the hi hats and cymbals down. Just goes to show, if you use the right tools, sometimes your track can be salvaged.

Check out the whole album preview (currently being mastered- these is unmastered). Done using Cubase 4, Guitar Rig 3, Diverse VocSteady/Pusher, Voxengo, IK Multimedia (Fairchild 670 & Opto Compressors) and a whole lot of guitars.

Check it out here.

Back