Interesting Idea for Panned Guitars

...if you can figure out where you went relative to where you meant to go.

Well...there's the rub. :)

My only claim here is that by knowing basics first and having that foundation...the journey can still have a lot of experimentation, and during that journey you'll know where/why you're going and how you got there.

I don't mind happy accidents, but it's not the same when all of your recording is based on accidents...you know, where you just keep tossing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

I guess what I'm saying is...first experiment and take the journey within the realm of basic recording/mixing techniques.
Learn that first...then move to the DAW candy jar.

Well...there's the rub. :)

My only claim here is that by knowing basics first and having that foundation...the journey can still have a lot of experimentation, and during that journey you'll know where/why you're going and how you got there.

I don't mind happy accidents, but it's not the same when all of your recording is based on accidents...you know, where you just keep tossing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

I guess what I'm saying is...first experiment and take the journey within the realm of basic recording/mixing techniques.
Learn that first...then move to the DAW candy jar.

There are a number of somewhat heroic leaps here.

The first is that a relatively innocuous question from the OP is taken as evidence that the OP has not mastered basic recording techniques. The second is that the OP is doing nothing but basing his recordings on accidents or "tossing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks".

I am not sure there is enough information in the original post to allow us to conclude either.

However, the generality of what you say is right . . . master the fundamentals first, then explore the boundaries.

I thought the discussion veered from directly answering the OP awhile back....so yeah, this is more "in general". :)
Yeah, we've been out in the philosophy weeds for a bit now.

It's true that knowing your fundamentals should definitely be where most of us jump off. I think sometimes the "throw everything, see what sticks" strategy has value too. It's all a matter of whose time you're wasting. If it's your own? Go for it.

Sometimes "breaking the rules" can help reinforce our understanding of why they're rules to begin with. "Everybody says not to do this, but I don't really understand why." Try it. "Oh, that's why." It takes a couple minutes and (usually) doesn't hurt anybody.

Also, doing things the "right way" is not the same as understanding the process.

Yeah, we've been out in the philosophy weeds for a bit now.

It's true that knowing your fundamentals should definitely be where most of us jump off. I think sometimes the "throw everything, see what sticks" strategy has value too. It's all a matter of whose time you're wasting. If it's your own? Go for it.

Yeah...we're just can-kicking now...

I've been there...toss shit at wall approach...and I don't deny that it can be fun and you can/should always learn from your mistakes.

Having already done that...I also learned that other guys before me already figured out a lot of this stuff, and that there WAS a certain foundation that they all had and used that made things easier for them, and that it applied to recording/mixing across the board.
So once I got that basic stuff under my belt...everything else became easier, and even when occasionally tossing something against the wall...there was that much more gleaned from the results. IOW...the experimentation was with/from some applied knowledge and not just blind.

I guess what I'm saying is...
If for example you decide you want to learn how to build a house...you could simply buy some wood and start hammering away, but seeing how there's a wealth of existing info on house building basics...it would just make more sense to start from there, rather than turn everything into a personal experiment....though nothing wrong with that either. Some people enjoy learning how to make a wheel on their own. ;)

YMMV... :)

To extend the the house metaphor, if you want to go in with no theoretical knowledge and see what happens, that's fine and valuable for some people. But you should probably start with a birdhouse! :D

Back