Interesting drum recording effect.

ryanlikestorock

Here's a little weird effect trick that I think I invented when I was 15 and learning about home recording.

We had recorded the band, but found that our snare drum was sounding pretty flat. So, I hooked up a 15" speaker cab with just the snare signal running through it, placed the snare drum on a guitar stand and set it right in front of the speaker. When the recorded snare would sound through the speaker, the real snare would vibrate, making a really sizzly sound.

When the recording of this new snare sound was mixed with the original snare sound, a really interesting, fuller, weird effect was happening.

I also did a similar idea running vocals into a large drum and recording that sound... it can be make for a really weird stereo effect.

Anyone try stuff like this to make a mix a little more "interesting"?

I saw something like this in an article in the Electronic Musician magazine. Stewart Copeland did it.
He would run the snare track through a little speaker, place it on the snare drum, and record the snare drum vibrations with a mic placed pointing at the bottom of the drum.

Adds a little more depth, I guess. Never done it myself, but it seems ingenius!

:)

Yeah, I figured someone had tried it before me... but, I guess I was just wondering if anyone here has done it before.

Just conversation. hah

Why don't you just mic the goddamn bottom of the snare in the first place so you don't have to go through all that crap? ? ? :D :D

Haha. A fair question. I was young when I was doing this, and I never thought of it... or didn't have enough mics or channels to do it. But, I think it's a different effect anyway. You can run any signal through the natural effects of another...

Pretty weird stuff.

I guess that's why I'm in mastering now. Keep me away from all the weird recording toys.

I was only half-joking.

It is a pretty good trick, and rather popular with some of the bigger-name engineers.

I also like to run the snare track through a guitar amp with some good drive / distortion goin' on.

Sometimes it can sound cool . . . but then sometimes it can just sound like ass, too. :D

Back