I'm getting crazy on mixing post-hardcore guitars!

SebastianE

Hi, so I got this problem where.. I simply can't get my guitars to sound right... I want them to sound something like this (youtube) /watch?v=17LB4UWMUGc I simply can't...
I'm using both free and bought products, like amplitube.. I record my guitar directly to my interference (if you can say that, I'm not english) so it's all clean, sounds like what ever guitar ever that is recorded that way...
Then i start, with the basics, eq'n n stuff.. I try so hard to get that sound in everyway (that I've found)... but I can't and that have led me to make this post.. Please help! :D give tips! :) and ask for more questions if needed..

these plugs have the kinda sound i think your after,there a many others that will do the same,some bloody great freeware out there too ...

try you wa shock ;) it will help you get part of the way there to that bright maxed out sound

KVR: You Wa Shock! by Red Shine Sound - Details <- for a quick idea drop this on yer master :D

think this is based on FL`s Maximus,they give similar results

Maximus

<- aint metal but shows ya how to set it up ...

Fruity Multiband Compressor - Effect Plugin <- love this :D

FL imo make some great stuff with good sounding quick results,love or hate FL,you gotta admit its bloody good sounding stuff :D

couple the above with a good Mid Side plug will give separation like this track,plugs with good "air" will add polish (maag)

I just want to point out that getting a particular guitar sound is highly dependent on the interaction between the player and the "sound" of the guitar/amp. Reamping gets gets mixed results because the interaction gets nullified.

Also, sim amps can be a pain in the ass, particularly for heavy guitars. It gets convoluted very quickly because of too many options.

I still can't get past recording guitar straight from a real amp because amp sims never get me the sound I want.

Cheers :)

I would love to record with a real amp, but unfortunaly i'm a bit low on cash... So i'll have to do the best I can with what I have

Nothing like getting the sound you want from the source, i'd recommend you to start playing around with amps / amp sims (amp kind, amp settings: gain, amp equalizer, pedal stomps, etc..) until you're very closer to the sound you want and only after that apply mixing techniques.

That fruity loops video was informative for a beginner, but you could easily do that stuff on any DAW with a multiband compressor. I personally love the one that came with studio one, but that's just me. There's way more to mastering than slapping an mbc on it though.

Anyways, like I said before on your other thread in a different section, judging from that video they're using a dual rectifier and double tracking.

FL imo make some great stuff with good sounding quick results,love or hate FL,you gotta admit its bloody good sounding stuff :D

couple the above with a good Mid Side plug will give separation like this track,plugs with good "air" will add polish (maag)

Don't listen to a thing that guy says in his video. And for goodness sake, don't let any of the ACTUAL mastering engineers here see you're endorsing a video that is utilizing MBCs to get it louder. xD

Multi-band compression shouldn't really be used in a mastering situation unless the mix is really poor and there's a REASON to use it. It shouldn't be a go-to thing every time you're mastering. He also clearly knows nothing about signal flow, as he's telling you to raise the gain using an Equalizer AFTER your limiter, which kind of defeats the purpose of the limiter (if you're trying to raise the volume, the purple gain pot on the limiter should've been what he was using.)

Not to mention the guy is using Maximus AND Soundgoodizer, and stating that Soundgoodizer was just raising the volume. Back when I was younger and using FL Studio, I used to get really into the whole thing... The documentation for Soundgoodizer TELLS you that the presets in Maximus (which at the beginning, the individual in the video so evangelically tells you to avoid) are basically all the Soundgoodizer is using.

Soundgoodizer - Effect Plugin

If you're looking to get great Post-hardcore tone, your answer isn't a different DAW like FL Studio or anything. The best way to get tone like that would be to find out at LEAST what amp they used (probably something like a dual/triple rec, as previously mentioned) and purchase that as well as a decent cab.

As you've stated, you can't afford that, and honestly, it's going to be hard to get tone like that with any sort of amp sim that doesn't cost a decent amount of money, such as hardware units like the POD HD ($700 new) or an Axe-FX (upwards of $2,000 new). The best way to find the best tone you can get is stick with a good amp sim plug-in (Guitar Rig 5 is pretty good, the free Poulin ones aren't bad either) and just start tweaking. One of my buddies got a pretty decent tone out of Guitar Rig 5. Took him around 5 hours to get there. Does it sound commercially ready like the track you mentioned? No, but it's pretty good for software like that.

Tweak tweak tweak, and then when you think you've got the best tone you can get, start over and try something different and tweak again.

Hi,

if you'll ever consider using Guitar Rig 5 for the guitars, i suggest you to check how my posthardcore guitar tone sounds like.

You can preview it for here:

This is a fairly old thread, technically speaking, but alas, Paschalis has a decent point. I've never gotten anything good out of an amp sim while recording metal guitars, personally, but if one can get the guitars reamped with a nice tube amp for the genre (Mesa Dual Rec, Peavey 5150/6505, Marshall JVM/JCM), it's always sounded fantastic to me.

Back