Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I think I need my ear cleaned professionally

jmarques is offline The Original BeatMinstrel
    Thanks

I think I need my ear cleaned professionally

Sign in to disable this ad
    I recently notice that I'm having to turn up the volume alot more to hear anything. My wife complaints all the time that I listen to TV and Music way to loud and details seem more difficult to discern.

Q-tips don't seem to be cutting it anymore. Have I lost my hearing or do I just need a pro to clean them?

Has anybody had noticable shift in the hearing before?

legionserial is offline unBanned
    Thanks
    Do you have a cold or anything like that at the moment?

SuicideNote is offline always improving
    Thanks
    There are earwax dissolving products at your local drugstore. If it bothers you that much, see a doctor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by legionserial
    Do you have a cold or anything like that at the moment?
    Oh no. I feel ok. I think I just keep pushing that ear wax further in and just having trouble digging it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SuicideNote
    There are earwax dissolving products at your local drugstore. If it bothers you that much, see a doctor.
    It doesn't physically bother me. It more of an inconvience at this point, but maybe there are some products someone could recommend for me. Are the any brand name I should look into?

chazba is offline terminally hip
    Thanks
    A few years ago I went to the Ear Nose and Throat doc to see about a longterm sore throat. While he was checking me out, he pulled from each ear a wax ball about 3/8" in diameter. My hearing improved but I had to quit smoking to make the sore throat go away. My 2cents

chazba
    The issues are three, Hardware, Software and Wetware. The first two can be solved......

dementedchord is offline Psychotic State alumni ch
    Thanks
    it's well worth checking into... sometimes you can compact the wax into the ear as much as clean it with q-tips.... can you pop your ears??? if you cant that's a sign of eustacian tube dysfunction... and sometimes indicates an inner ear problem as well...

RAK
    RAK is offline Manufacturer - Shure, Inc
    Thanks
    Check out something like Debrox or any over the counter ear-wax breaker upper. They're just eardrops, but as with anything like this, I'd make sure you follow the directions. There are also one's that come with little squeeze bulbs to flush stuff out.

Having said that though, it's not a bad idea to have your ears professionally flushed out every now and again, it's something you should be able to have your GP do at your next check-up.

I would try the over-the-counter stuff first, if that doesn't work, maybe go see someone. If you're experienceing any pain, or physically feeling blocked, it may a eustachian tube issue.

If it's not a physical feeling, and just a hearing issue, you might want to go in for a hearing test, if the ear-wax dissolving doesn't work.

But keep in mind that most of us (I'm certianly not) are not doctors, so it's always good to get a professional opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy2sticks
    For the record, I am smarter than Einstein.

Foo-bu is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    i've actually been told many times that q-tips aren't good for your ears. they're decent for cleaning out the wax and dirt on the inner ear lobe but as for actually getting out the wax in your ear, they can actually make things worse because you can push wax further back in your ear canal. also if you go too deep you can do damage too. its recommended that you get a proper ear flush every few months. for this you could see an audiologist or fins some places that do ear candling.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks fellas for the info!!

bkcaud is offline Newbie
    Thanks
    Hi,

I thought I'd chime in here since I am an audiologist (and kind of a newbie at home recording trying to learn). First, I agree with some of the comments here that Q-tips are not really recommended for cleaning the ear canals. They are great for cleaning the nooks and crannies of the external ear, but visualize what happens with a black powder rifle and ram-rod and you get a good idea of what can happen with ear wax in the ear canal when a Q-tip is used.

I see this all of the time as I look in ears, wax deep in the ear canal (it is produced in the outer 1/3 of the ear canal and should never be that deep), and it will often have an indentation from the q-tip.

Someone mentioned ear candles. I would absolutely, under no circumstances EVER use an ear candle. They are a hoax. We did some experimenting with these in graduate school and there is no way you can produce enough "suction" to remove anything from the ear canal with them. At best they are a waste of money and at worst they are potentially dangerous. In fact I have seen one person who had hot wax from the ear candle drip down and burn a hole through her eardrum.

The only way to be sure if earwax is the problem (and it certainly could be, especially if the change has come on relatively suddenly) is to have someone look in the ear with an otoscope. Believe it or not you can have quite a bit of wax in the ears and still hear just fine -- as long as sound waves can transmit past the wax and to the eardrum, even a significant amount of wax won't affect hearing much. But if the ear canal becomes fully occluded you will notice a significant (usually fairly sudden) change to your hearing.

You can certainly try the over the counter kits such as Debrox, etc. They work well for many, but if you don't notice a fairly dramatic improvement in your hearing, I would encourage seeing your physician or an audiologist to look in the ears and then have your hearing evaluated.

Wish you well.

Bryce

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information