I hear reverb tails...

dobro

...better through my headphones (which are good) than through my monitors (which are very good). Is that because my studio absorbs lots of sound, which makes it more difficult to hear reverberation?

A part of it could be that your headphone chain is a little cleaner than your monitoring chain and the tails get lost in the noise floor. Headphones in general are better for picking up really minute noises and sounds and that's what makes them best for doing editing.

If your listening to a person yelling across a field, your gonna hear a mumbly distant type sound...

If the person is talking right into your ear, then you will hear all the detail of the air going across his teeth and the spit smacking around in the mouth..

The ear is closer to the sound source (Speaker).. Thats why your hearing more detail with phones.

Simple as dat!;)

Joe

I have the same thing. In fact the only thing I use headphones for is to check effect levels & panning. Both seem exaggerated in headphones. I have no idea why.

I would think that the effects of panning are more pronounced with headphones because the sound of left and right is isolated to each ear, whereas with monitors each ear gets some of both. Of course you guys probably already know that, and I am just stating the obvious.

Voxvendor, RWhite - thanks, that's reassuring. I'll stick with the headphones for effects finetuning.

mkeene - the only thing that's obvious is how much I don't know. :D

Voxvendor, RWhite return: there's also this - although I can hear the reverb better through headphones, it tends to make me cut it back. However, if I compare two mixes on a standard issue crummy home stereo - one I cut back the reverb, and one that the headphones told me was way too wet, the one that sounds better is the wetter one, simply because the effect I wanted comes across. Fuck. What to do?

Always be carefull when you listen to mixes through headphones. When you listen to your mixes in your headphones, they often sound great and you get disapointed when you hear them through a hifi.

So, you can hear details through headphones but don't go trusting the mix through headphones. Yeah, that makes sense.

Tell you what though. I love that word you used for standard home sound systems - 'hifi'. 'Hifi' just oozes low quality, and that about sums it up. Having said that, I'm always checking my mixes through hifis after they've made through the studio. :D

Back